What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help ID 165mm projectile

Brian Keith

I would appreciate any help in identifying this large projectile, probably WW I era. It appears to be 6 inches (165 mm?) in diameter at the rotating band. It is 34 3/8ths inches in length and the base is five inches in diameter. The fuze well diameter is 2 inches. I brushed the rotating band but didnt find any markings, nor did I find any on the base. It is pretty rusty from many years of outside storage. I looked around some for a 6.5 inch or 165mm projectile and didnt find much. Thanks in advance. Photos attached.
BKWPA190428.JPGPA190425.JPGPA190431.JPGPA190423.JPG

Thanks Minenaz16, It does look like that one, I'll recheck my measurements, but it looks like you ID'd it for us. I'm surprised it is that new!
Have a good day!
BKW

I must admit I thought it looked much more recent than WW1, having a streamlined shape and an added disc on the base (`Schlatterplate' comes to mind - a disc welded onto the base of a shell to prevent propellant gases from entering the shell through the body's natural grain, thereby causing a bore explosion).

Hi Brain, are you going to patch it up?
They are becomming quite rare , and it's well worth the sandblasting, repolishing the drivingband and repainting it.
The nose fuze is easily obtainable for a few dollar on your side of the pond.
Find a machine shop that can make you a white nylon obturation ring and you have a very nice piece for in the corner of your living room.

Regards, DJH :)

Ammotechxt, You know a whole bunch more about this stuff then I do! Thanks for you comments.
pzgr40, this would clean and display pretty nicely, I'll look into finding a couple of fuzes (we have two of these). It is on loan to a museum I'm involved with and we have just taken on a couple of BIG restoration projects, a WW I German 240mm mortar (the gun, not just a projectile), a WW I German 75mm mountain howitzer (again the gun) and a US 76 mm gun!
We'll be busy!
Thanks for the comments and interest!
BKW