What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills No.5 I.D

dodgydave

DSCF6148.jpgDSCF6150.jpgDSCF6152.jpgPicked up this No.5 at Chatham Militaria Fair the other Sunday. Any ideas on the manufacturer? The only marking is the shield. Aluminium base and filler plugs.

If the aluminium plug is plain it is most probably one of the repro ones sold on ebay. The shield is a common cast mark. From memory I couldn't pin it down to a maker but it is often seen on 1916 No5 and No 23 grenades.

John

Repro eh? Seems to be a lot of them about these days!! Whoever's knocking 'em out, must be making a fortune at 30 a pop.......I'll put it back on the market then.

The repros are only 5, the fakes are 30.

Here's a photo of some fake aluminium base plugs that were being sold in France about 5 years ago. I've not seen any out there recently but do know that a guy in the Midlands is selling repro plugs advertised as that.

John

DSCN2940.JPG

PS Out of interest, the Ulster Tower on the Somme has one of the fake Red Hand baseplugs in one of their display cases....

Last edited:
To be honest, another member has seen it and thinks it's a good 'un; but isn't that what this forum is all about? I'll have it at Chatham Militaria next month.....for further perusal....

That would be great. I'll be there. A better photo of the plug here would help as well. John