What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henschel Hs 297 Fohn?

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured is what I think is a Henschel 297 Fohn rocket of WW2 vintage. I understand that these were used both in a ground launched Flak mounting, Beercrate Flak, and were a potential option to arm the rocket fighter Bachem Ba349 Natter with 24 being mounted in the nose. The overall length of this example is approximately 285mm including the fitted ZZ505 Fuze, the main body is 163mm long. I am assuming that from the design the main body could vary in length with the same nose and exhaust nozzle being fitted. Any information on this projectile would be of interest and potential confirmation of my ID and use in the Natter of this size projectile would be really useful. Picture alongside a 3.7cm Flak round for comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 29
IMG_7893.jpgIMG_7894.jpgIMG_7895.jpg

Superb. I was going to ask what this one was I'm in the process of cleaning up. Totally empty and quite lightweight. Yes, more info would be great.

The rocket in the first post obviously is the "Foehn" rocket, but... I have absolutely no idea, why is the rocket usually attributed to Henschel and designated as the Hs 297. :/ The only designation actually used by the Germans, I've encountered, is 7,3 cm R-Spgr (with or without the dash), while the codename Foehn apparently applies to a whole family of AA salvo launchers, not the rockets.
The original fuse of the rocket was RAZ 51 (Raketenaufschlagzuender 51), clearly derived from 20 mm flak fuses armed by rotation, e.g. Kpf.Z. 45.
Foehn5_cr2_1024pres2_800GPS.jpg