What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb Disposal During The Leicester Blitz

LEI-13-HG

Yes, this is a plug for my new book, but I think it will interest those here as not only does it list the BD units, UX German ordnance dropped on Leicester, but even the fuzes retrieved and has some rare photos of BD operations and the UXB that almost destroyed Leicester Town Hall when it fell through several floors before sitting in the basement!

The book is the result of 15 years' hard work and uses BD war diaries etc from the National Archives plus local ARP UXB records.

Luftwaffe Air Raids on Leicester, England

During a series of sharp air raids on Leicester in 1940 and 1941, the Luftwaffe killed over 100 citizens and wounded almost 300 more. But against this carnage, a well-organised and planned Air Raid Precautions organisation bravely responded.

The result of fifteen years' exhaustive research, Tested By Bomb and Flame uses an array of local, national and international archival records, some only recently declassified, to reveal the true story of the air raids on Leicester.

Several myths and factual errors published over the last seven decades, regarding dates, locations and numbers of casualties, are corrected and enduring questions, such as whether Leicester was accidentally bombed, are definitively answered. Furthermore, important controversies, such as how Leicester was left undefended at the Luftwaffe's mercy, are also revealed. This book features:

A blow-by-blow, detailed account of all the air raids on Leicester, charting where the bombs fell and Luftwaffe units involved in the raids.

The brave and altruistic work of Leicester's ARP services in the face of the Luftwaffe's bombs.

Numerous powerful accounts by those who experienced the air raids, including those buried alive in the bombing.

Detailed rolls of honour listing the civilians, ARP/Civil Defence and military personnel who died.

How Leicester's ARP and fire services went to the aid of other blitzed British cities.

Plus, many previously unpublished dramatic photographs from the Leicester Mercury archives and private sources, together with rare documents and memorabilia, that give an insight into the city's Blitz and ARP services.

Tested By Bomb and Flame is a moving and honest account of Leicester's battle against Hitler's Luftwaffe. It forms a worthy tribute to Leicester's civilians and ARP/CD services who endured and overcame the Luftwaffe's attacks and will provide a welcome addition to Home Front history at both local and national level.

A4, 160-pages, H/B, D/J, over 150 photos, maps, illustrations plus appendices.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tested-Bomb-...5060110&sr=1-2

Seems really interesting and I'm sure we'd all love to read it, but is it going to make it's way to the Colonies?:neutral: Cheers, Bruce.

Good luck with your book sales, I hope it dose well.

I was wondering do you have any information about Home Guard BD units? My Grandfather was with the Middlesex home guard and I'm trying to find out any information about his service but I don't have his service number. All I know is he was a Lieutenant with 11th Battalion? Middlesex Home Guard. He was definitely dealing with UXB between Aug 43 and the disbandment in 44 as the photo I have of him shows the squad wearing the crossed bomb patch on the wrist of their battledress jackets.

I'm hoping there is a list somewhere of the officers in the Home Guard in 1944. Any help would be great.

Good luck with your book sales, I hope it dose well.

I was wondering do you have any information about Home Guard BD units? My Grandfather was with the Middlesex home guard and I'm trying to find out any information about his service but I don't have his service number. All I know is he was a Lieutenant with 11th Battalion? Middlesex Home Guard. He was definitely dealing with UXB between Aug 43 and the disbandment in 44 as the photo I have of him shows the squad wearing the crossed bomb patch on the wrist of their battledress jackets.

I'm hoping there is a list somewhere of the officers in the Home Guard in 1944. Any help would be great.

Hi - The HG Auxiliary BD units are covered in my previous book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Round-...U7I_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415092052&sr=1-1

The 11th Middlesex Battalion were Wealdstone, so would likely have been attached to some large factory there. As a Lieutenant, he would have been in charge of the squad. Any chance of posting the photo and I may be able to identify more?