What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

even modern 20x102 projectiles are being forged....

orpheus72

Premium Member
Last month i've found some rounds that looked like a 'repainted' FAP (Frangible Armor Piercing) projectiles on a Polish site.

I sure was surprised when i got them, as they were heavier than the other ones in my collection.

When i removed the projectile from the (recrimped) case, it was obvious that it was a solid steel repro, with pure copper drivebelt.

It saddens me when even a $60 (for a real one) round gets forged (who knows what costs, time and efford went into those repoductions....)

Attachments

• 100_9525.jpg
    100_9525.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 100_9535.jpg
    100_9535.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_9536.jpg
    100_9536.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Thanks, I've just rushed off to check the one I have...phew its OK!
The real ones appear to have a plastic disc in the base.
Thanks for the heads up. The forgers don't appear to have go the profile of it quite right where the taper stops.........but I wouldn't have noticed if you'd not posted photos of a fake next to a real one.
Dave.

It saddens me when even a $60 (for a real one) round gets forged (who knows what costs, time and efford went into those repoductions....)

Oh, that's only 60 Euro, and yes, sad enough. A few years ago we had a guy from Germany who brought stocks of repro ammo on the market, complete with stamps. It was only notoced when someone found out the ballistic cap of the 12,8cm Pzgr was solid after buying. He also tried to sell newly discovered experimental shells, never seen before..........
Same for 2cm Hartkern; loved by 20x139B collectors and -as a real HK can pass 500 Euros with ease- a beloved object by fakers.
The only thing you need is a guy that works in an CNC milling station company, that is allowed to use his bosses machine for his own purposes after work, to spit out 10 pcs of 12,8cm Pzgr fakes in one 8 hour shift from a standard 6 mtrs bar of 140mm mild steel, including the explosives room and the fuze body.

Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Geert Thanks for warning.
It is unfortunate that some profit from cheating.
In an automatic lathe more than 100 per hour would, do numbers are many euros.
regards