What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Cartridge Box Question

Montagu

A good friend of mine owns a Clay Pigeon Shooting Centre. He has the following question regarding the attached photo.:

"The photo shows a wartime cartridge box for .300 ball made by Remington and marked for synchronized RAF guns only. The question is in what role would the RAF use .30-06 (30cal) synchronized Guns? I was always of the belief they used .303 British........"

Is anybody able to provide an answer I can pass to my friend? Any help will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 39
Remington manufactured quite a bit of Cal .30 (30-06) ammunition for the UK, including one big contract in 1941. They had a heavy ring crimp on the primer because they were intended for aircraft use. So, there must have been quite a few UK planes fitted for the Cal .30. The headstamp for the UK contract is R A 1941 300Z. The "Z" means loaded with nitro rather than cordite. Examples are fairly common here in the Colonies.

Ray

Hi Ray
Many thanks indeed for your very fast, informative and interesting reply. I will pass this to my friend who will be very grateful.
Paul