What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Armor Piercing ?

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
I have this 20mm Armor Piercing with the following dimensions; OAL 57.4mm (2.26"), base to rotating band 13.21mm (.52"), RB width 5.33mm (.21"). Diameter of AP is 13.03mm (.513"). I'm hesitant to hope what this is, but could someone give me some ideas on what I might have. AP core isn't fazed by a file. The aluminum body is corroded having no visible markings. Thanks, Bruce.

PB181707.JPGPB181706.JPG

Pretty sure it is an AP-T projectile for the 20mm Vulcan.
I have this unfired with the aluminium cap (un-assembled)
Unfortunately away so unable to check dims against mine

Going to bump this. Item identified as a 20x138Bmm Solothurn APHC-T. Thanks, imaokie.

Does this help ?

Yes, thank you. By the drawings provided to me, yours is of the third type with a totally threaded tracer which supports the tungsten HC. Mine is of the first type with a tracer well and should have a disk over the tracer element. Also, the HC on mine is pressed in from the front.

What year is your casing? I'm going to try to find a period correct one for mine. Also, is there any performance data available on these rounds? Thanks again, Bruce.

Certainly not the type in this drawing, as the base of that type of 20 x 138/B projectile is steel, not aluminum or alloy.

I doubt it being 20 X 138/B at all, as the drivingband profile does not seem to match.
Furthermore I am unaware of these rounds being documented with such a stepped tracercavity.
20190407_201837.jpg
20190407_201904.jpg
20190407_201850.jpg

Last edited:
What I can say with absolute certainty is the one in the image I posted over the weekend is 100% genuine. And I was pretty chuffed to get my paws on it earlier this year.

As an aside, Soviet statistics regarding T34 losses to German guns gathered from the beginning of the war until Sept 42 stated that 4.7% were lost to 20mm rounds. Though it doesn't state the type of projectile used, one can be pretty sure that a large proportion of these T34's fell victim to the more effective Pzgr.40 fired from KwK.30's