What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

electric instruments

Bellifortis

Some time ago I bought these 2 instruments, under the impression that the right one is a rare WW2, to me unknown, blasting mashine. Meanwhile I found out, that the gadget on the right is a manual charger for batteries, producing a voltage of around 4 V. It might have been used to charge the batteries of for instance the "Panzerhandlampe", discussed and shown here some time ago. I still was not able to identify the instrument on the left. It's WW2 vintage and produced by "Siemens & Halske". Any ideas ?
regards,
Bellifortis.IMG_5425.jpg

Could it be an instrument for testing continuity on phone lines or electric detonator wires,?
Don,

I do not think that it is a Voltmeter. By turning the handle (both forwards and backwards) the scale in the middle numbered from 1 to 7 moves. By turning the upper flip-switch marked R, the scale jumps back to 0. The other flip-switch is marked B. looking at the scale-chart on the inside of the lid you see F% and Z at the end of each line. I have absolutely no idea what this instrument might have been used for.
regards,
Bellifortis.

When I look at the machine on the left, I see Z which is the designation for Impedence, R which is the designation for Resistance and Reactance. Impedence is caused by resistance to current flow as it relates to magnetic circuits like speaker coils, and especially electric motors. It is important to know the Impedence of a circuit, in order to know what the Power Factor is. The current lags in phase behind the voltage in a motor circuit, and leads in phase with the voltage in a capacitive circuit. Power companies want to balance this out, because the circuit will use less overall power, so they have customers add capacitors to motor circuits to bring the current and voltage into phase. When you balance a circuit, you pay less for the power to run the motor because you use less.

Also, Power factor is usually listed as a percent (%) and that symbol is on your meter also. Typically, an inductive motor circuit lags at approximately 70%.

I believe your box is designed to measure impedence. It could be for power factor, or to just measure if things are running as designed. It would appear that what ever wire one plugs into A is read on the A scale below, etc.

Last edited: