What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repro Filling Station Labels for Steel boxes.... Anyone make them or done them?

I delivered them on our Open Day and there were lots of great comments from the visitors. It was great to finally be able to show them what was held in this room and it amazes people to learn it held 14.3 tonnes of explosives. Compared to the relatively small amount of TNT (1.2 Tonnes) in the Shell Store holding the APC and HE Projectiles.

I've been working on a number of projects relating to these Cylinders and finally after hours and hours of scavenging, cutting, securing, re-securing, swearing, head scratching, I've finally managed to assemble a replica 30 lb. cordite 1/4 Charge. for the 9.2 inch Coast Defence Gun. Its only taken 1180 piece of tube equating to 0.28 miles (450 meters) of tubing cut into 15 inch (381mm) sections. To do a 1/2 Super Charge its going to take a bit longer to get the tubing as I will need to scrounge up 0.58 miles (930 meters) of it as the cordite charge is 31 inches (787mm) long.

30lbs_01_zpsazbvjpjc.jpg
30lbs_02_zps4wcvt9dz.jpg

30lbs_03_zpsqam7ma07.jpg

I still have to sort out the skeletal packing crate for a cylinder, I need to work out a way to cut the 1 inch deep, 8 inch diameter circular recesses in the end blocks. but once that's done the rest should be easy ... I hope.

Anyone need some cute concrete garden ornaments to go with their garden gnomes? The first trial cast concrete projectile of a 9.2 inch Mark VIIIB Practice Shot Projectile should be ready after Easter for me to examine. Not sure what the price would be but the one caveat is.... YOU have to arrange shipping. :wink:

I still have to sort out the skeletal packing crate for a cylinder said:
Have you thought about a router and template? Start in middle in circular motions until you reach the edge of the template and you should have an 8" diameter circular recess. Otherwise fix the wood to a face plate on a wood lathe and take out the recess with a chisel. This all depends on the thickness of the wood base as you need to secure it to the faceplate with screws which might project into the part of the wood being removed. Not good for your chisels....
Cheers
Gary