What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repro Filling Station Labels for Steel boxes.... Anyone make them or done them?

Well, here's the first one off the production line. Its 99% complete. I still have to create a Government Explosives/Class label for it and I just have to glue down the station label.
No36Cylinder-Replica-03_zps0cd5aff0.jpg
Only another 503 to go.

Last edited:
Explosive label

Labels%2059.jpg

Is this any good? its the only copy I have but with some computer wizardry you might get what you need.
Cheers
Gary

I've managed to design and print a British label, I would think all the cylinders would of had British labels on them with the possibility of some having replacement NZ labels which I will work on redoing at some stage. I might have to get some shellac and give it a coating so it has that yellow look to it.
No36Cylinder-Replica-04_zps24a96676.jpg
No36Cylinder-Replica-05_zpsbe872c8a.jpg

Bugger, I think your right and of course after you pointed that out to me I did manage to find some 1941 information stating the following:- Printed in Red as shown on coloured paper as follows:- BLUE - for Land Service BROWN - for Air Service The Group Class is in Roman numerals. I managed to find some very old light blue paper and here's the result. I will just paste this label over the top of the one already on there. I can say the ammo techs screwed up the labeling. :wink:
GovenmentLabel_03_zps0e600a27.jpg
New label pasted on
GovenmentLabel_04_zps4faca591.jpg

Last edited:
Things are progressing well, and I have another side project for these Cylinders, one will be converted into a "Cutaway". I've sorted out the cordite and I will sort something out for the Silk Cloth for the Bag.

What concerns me at the moment is there must of been some sort of cardboard packaging in the Cylinders? The average size of a Charge bag is 8 inch diameter and the internal diameter of the Cylinder is about 9.5 inches. I can't see the charge bag just bouncing around inside the Cylinder, its not something you would want it doing with a gunpowder igniter bag attached to one end of it so there must of been some form or packaging.

I suspect there was a cardboard tube in-which the charge bag was inside of and I would think there would be some form of spacer disks at either end of the tube.

Dose anyone have any details about the spacers used with this type of Cylinder?

Sounds likely for the spacer,check out any similar type packaging.
As for the silk cloth, an alternative is something called 'cream serge'.
I've got a charge bag for the 5.5" gun, made as a movie prop thats made out of light cotton canvas.Might not be 100% but looks the part.

Now, dose anyone have access to a 8 inch or 8.5 inch Internal Diameter cardboard tube? I only need a 3 foot section :wink: If it comes to it I might have to make a cardboard tube...... :tinysmile_cry_t:

Thanks for the link, I never manage to find them when I was searching for a useful shop. I called them today and unfortunately they have already closed down for the Christmas break and can't have a look until the 12 Jan. Fingers crossed they have something.

The first 16 Cylinders have been delivered to the Cartridge Store of Magazine 1 of 165 Coast Defence Battery (Wright Hill Fortress) in Wellington, New Zealand.

Unfortunitly when the site was scraped over the new year of 1959/1960 the steel racks were cut out, the remains can be seen sticking out of the floor. The small hatch on the left hand wall is the issuing hatch. Beyond the single window is the Shell Store, where 275 rounds of 9.2 inch projectiles were stored.

Enjoy
MAG1-CS_06_zps418b90af.jpg

MAG1-CS_05_zps88accc3e.jpg

MAG1-CS_02_zps811fffa2.jpg

MAG1-CS_01_zps5ba559ab.jpg

Last edited: