What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German SB1000 Parachute

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

Very strange shape for this German parchute bomb !
I'm looking for pictures or other diagrams of this bomb.
Thank you.
Regards

sb1000 parachute.jpg

Hello! Some words about parachute: "... The parachute had wire stiffening and was about 5' in diameter, secured to the bomb by thirty-two cords. The missile was painted field grey and the parachute was coloured red, green or blue..."

Yury

I love Parachute mines... and I've always wanted a Parachute from one of these Monsters.

My GrandMa heard one flapping overhead during the Blitz on Liverpool, and did she run!

She looked up at it as it passed overhead, flapping in the wind.

If I remember correctly (?), I'm sure she said it was RED..

It took out half a street, when it finally landed on Heygreen Road, Wavertree.

GrandMa passed away some years ago, and I can still recall the terror in her voice as she remembered the events of yesteryear.

This one below, fell on Score Lane, Childwall 1940.

Attachments

• parachuteblitz_image1 (200x258).jpg
    parachuteblitz_image1 (200x258).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 58
Sorry to contradict, but from original documents and reports (from both sides), chutes of most German air dropped mines were made of artificial greenish silk.
There were two other types of parachute used for aerial mines, made up of 2" wide khaki colored silk ribbons woven together or secured in circular patterns to form the desired shape

Red silk parachute were used but the British to drop weapons supply containers.

The colors of the containers parachutes used by British paratroopers were:
Khaki - Personnel
Blue - Food supplies
Yellow - Medical supplies
Red - Weapons
white, and later green/red-brown/tan tri-colors camo - personnel
White - Miscellaneous equipment, personal and unit

The colors of the containers parachutes used by German paratroopers were
White - Food and supply canisters
Yellow - medical supplies
Green - weapons and ammo

Last edited:
Hello,

The parachute I have is 100% German WW 2 and is RED, has somebody any idea what it could be? regards Ben

Ben Has your Chute got 16 places for the lines to attach to,,,,, Dave

Last edited:
Ben, could you do me a favor and show a pic of your SB 1000/410 ? You remember we spoke about yours but at that time - many years ago it was located at Eugens place for restoration. Would love to see pics from before restoration and after. I did not see it in your collection recently. Don't you have it on display?
Thanks and best regards
Stefan