Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,098 Times in 470 Posts
    I do not think that the factory in the film in #6 makes all the parts itself. It requires a large factory with lots of different Industrial expertise which makes a company expensive. I assume they had several subcontractors making the seperate plastic and metal parts, sometimes delivered allready as semi completed components. The only thing they would have done themselves is assembling the semi completed components, explosives filling, CBU assembly, testing and packaging. Do not forget that exept for these -relatively simple- bomblets there is the CBU housing which has a very difficult and expensive Zamac cast center piece, so it's wise to subcontract.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pzgr40 For This Useful Post:

fundes (22nd July 2019)

Thanks
    heres the complete brochure on ROF glascoed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Can you post all the measurements for the submunitions?

I am curious to see the differences side by side. Also, are there any differences in HE weights?

Joe

Thanks
    Hi @sprockets, I see you're in Dunstable. So, just down the road from the old Hunting (low lockheed) site at Amptill. Did you have any involvement with Huntings at all? Just wondering, so I know how to reply on this topic... :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fundes For This Useful Post:

Sprockets (29th August 2019)

Thanks
    Hello, belatedly, fundes,
    Unfortunately I was never involved at Ampthill, which I believe was formerly a "Bovril" plant, and the surroundings were replete with the jars! Unfortunately, Lockheed has no interest in the history, and even the receptionists seem to be there for weeks! No wonder they continually visit schools in an effort to persuade people to join! I spoke to the MD of the Hunting Group, after an introduction from a friend in the Survey division, which does still prosper. As a result my interest in the history was circulated to former employees, and I was contacted by their leading designer, now in his eighties, but still designing and making every bit of advanced motorcycles (Complex engines with sleeve valves, the fastest Diesel bike, which he rides, etc). He was behind most of their few patents, as he was used to overcome problems in any of their Development lines. Fortunately his beautiful drawings survive, but the bad news is that the BL755 was completed before he joined, and the designers had left.

The RAF museum at Colindale has the technical manuals, but the bad news is that most of their library has been infected by mould, so it is locked away in sealed containers, and they seem at a loss to know what to do! Over a year has passed so far, and I have given up contacting them-they are expected to wear breathing apparatus if they enter the storage and must not remove the infected material!

Sorry to be the bearer of such negative news-I have, though, studied the weapon in great detail from an engineering aspect. Do you have any background in Defence? Interesting moniker!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12