What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

15mm BESA MG Belt

bdgreen

Here are a couple of pictures of a portion of a 15mm BESA machine gun belt with cartridges from a shipment of 1500 rounds received by the U.S. Ordnance Dept. in 1941. They were intended for tests of the 15mm BESA machine gun conducted at Aberdeen Proving Ground. I assume the BESA machine gun and ammunition for these tests were supplied by Britain but the test report from which these pictures came from, dated June 11, 1941, does not indicate the origin of the test material.

Attachments

• 15mm BESA MG Belt British 1b.jpg
    15mm BESA MG Belt British 1b.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 15mm BESA MG Belt British 1a.jpg
    15mm BESA MG Belt British 1a.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 69
Hi,
here is the original czech belt on archive photograph.
Bob

Attachments

• IMGP3061.jpg
    IMGP3061.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 60
Nabob,

When you compare the belt picture you posted and the Aberdeen belt picture side by side it appears the belts are very similar if not the same except for the different end tabs.

Brian

PS: Just found this on the web: http://www.warstuff.com/Rare-WW2-British-BSA-BESA-15mm-Tank-Gun-25-ro-i1539712.htm a WW2 British B.S.A. [BESA] 15mm Tank Gun 25 round ammo belt. They (Warstuff) picture a stamp on the lead tab which I could not read but they indicate is BSA. This belt portion has the same wire pull attached to the lead tab as shown in the Aberdeen photos.

Last edited: