What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

76 mm APFS DS/T Projectile

Andy Naude

The 76 mm was first used by the South African Navy in 1977 on the Minister Class Strike Craft. In 1989 it was introduced in to the South African Army and used in the Rooikat (Caracal or "Red Cat") Armoured Vehicle.

These were used quite extensively during the Angolan war. It was with the introduction of the Rooikat that the APFS DS was used.

I assume that this projectile was produced in South Africa.

300px-Rooikat_K9,_Waterkloof_Lugmagbasis[1].jpg

IMG_5358.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

IMG_5361.JPG

It is awesome! Congrates on adding it to your collection. This is the first time I have seen photos of this projectile. Thank you for posting them.

Jason

Very nice thanks for showing photographs.
My "wants list" just got longer.
Dave.

I understand that the latest versions of the Rooikat's ammo, the cartridge case is made out of combustible material except for the metal base.

This presumably wouldn't work with the naval versions of the ammo, as it wouldn't be strong enough to stand up to the high-rate automatic ammo handling.

The 76 mm was first used by the South African Navy in 1977 on the Minister Class Strike Craft. In 1989 it was introduced in to the South African Army and used in the Rooikat (Caracal or "Red Cat") Armoured Vehicle.

These were used quite extensively during the Angolan war. It was with the introduction of the Rooikat that the APFS DS was used.

I assume that this projectile was produced in South Africa.

View attachment 101735

View attachment 101736

View attachment 101737

View attachment 101738

Thanks for posting these pics, Andy. :)

Could provide more details on this 76mm APFSDS, e.g. :
* overall length of tungsten penetrator
* diameter of tungsten penetrator
* nose tip length of tungsten penetrator
* overall mass of projectile (including sabot)
* mass of tungsten penetrator (excluding sabot)

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Matt.

Hi Matt,

Overall length of penetrator : 344 mm

Diameter: 20 mm

Nose tip: 65,5 mm

Overall Mass: 2.15 kg

Unable to waeigh seperatly (sorry)

Hope this helps