What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm AP Target Plate Mounted for Desk Display

M8owner

I blew a hole in this plate with my 37mm cannon years ago and just kept hauling it around. I became inspired, cut it down to size, and mounted it on ball bearings so it could spin. I also have a two inch plate with a hole in it and a three inch plate that it almost went through. Those are a little too heavy for desk top display though.

37mm impact plate.jpg37mm impact plate front.jpg

AP Hit on Three Inch Mild Steel Plate

37mm AP hit on 3 in plate.JPGAttached is a photo of the three inch plate. It was not penetrated all the way through. It is interesting as the projectile did not "stick" in the target - like it popped out. I never found it. I still need to find the two inch plate photos; it has several hits. The most interesting is the one that entered and went sideways till it ran out of steam and was trapped.

37mm AP hit on 2 inch plate2.jpgHere is the two inch plate with an AP hit on top and a mild steel projectile (one I made) hit on the bottom.

Great pictures, thank you for posting them. The shape of the pierced armour plate in the second post is very nice, would make a fantastic display. The round pictured is one I am missing from my collection, anyone have a spare ? I have plenty of cases just need the projectile.
Best regards Weasel.

Hello Weasel,

I believe that M59 projectile now only exists as a hole in the two inch plate. At that time, shooting was more important to me than collecting.

Sorry.

That's fine, I can understand the need to shoot things, or at least used to before our gun laws became so draconian. The M51 although a fairly common one on your side of the pond does not seem so readily available over here, I am sure I will find one.
Best regards Weasel.

Let us not abandon all hope yet. The projectile in the post above is the M59 APC round for the US 37mm antiaircraft gun. I have only encountered that one projectile. However, I was into the M3, M5, and M6 antiguns at the time, so I went ahead and shot it. Are you looking for an M59 specifically, or do you desire the M51 AP round for the M3, M5 and M6 guns? I do hereby declare myself the king of ammo for the US M3, M5 and M6 guns with over 50 original projectiles and 200 casings for such guns. I do have a spare an M51 round of your choice, B1, B2, etc. I would love to trade one for a 2 pdr projectile. Do you think such a projectile would survive post from the US to the UK?