What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown ogive

Jawasinger

cant figure out what rocket or projo this is from diameter is 3 1/8in or 81mm and its 13 1/4in long
Thanks in advance
ogive.jpg

maybe a Swiss Oerlikon 81mm SNORA HEAT rocket head? I will look up the papers tonight.
Regards, DJH

Last edited:
I believe this might be the cover for a 3" British Rocket fuze. It isn't the no 731, but a similar model.
D

I looked up the SNORA it does look good comes very close to the measurements I found in JANES. The black paint looks to be original in the newer NATO color coding TP should be blue? There is no place for a pz crystal inside.
Cant find any info on a 3" British rocket

Hello,

Do you have more informations on this fuze (I assume it's a proximity fuze)

Regards

Hello,

Do you have more informations on this fuze (I assume it's a proximity fuze)

Regards

Pistol No 710 is an electro-optical proximity fuze, using photo-electric cells reacting to aircraft shadow. There were limitations due to prematures in sunlight and complete failure at night. Initially used in 3-inch AA rockets against dive-bombers. Also tried in Air to Air rockets.

Developed by EMI at Hayes, West London in 1940 and, justifiably, claimed to be the first successful proximity fuze.