What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Gate Guards"

MissingLink

Premium Member
This was a fun thread on another forum I frequent. Usually, a "gate guard" is a piece of artillery that has been donated to a city, municipality, VFW, etc. for decoration. You'll find them hanging out in parks or in front of various buildings "guarding the gates."

To start it off, here's a Japanese Type 91 105mm howitzer that sits inside the gate at Kitchell Park in Pana, IL, US. I climbed all over that thing as a kid, and always thought it would hit my house if it were ever fired (my house was in the line of sight, but maybe only 500 yards from the gun...silly kid).

Any more out there?

-WRM

gg1.jpggg2.jpg

This post from 2012 was banned at IAA forum.
This is a very unique event for someone like me, someone outside of US military system, an open day at Tobyhanna Army Depot, the 1st and probably the last time civilians are allowed inside and given pretty detailed tours of this huge, meticulously maintained facility. This 5000+ personnel military base, located inside of Poconos' virgin forests of Pennsylvania, is an all-branch US military electronics repair and maintenance shop. Basically anything with computers and wires goes there, if a system is too old and is not serviced by the original manufacturer, they will fix or make de novo all the needed parts. I've seen some state of the art methods of manufacturing. UNFORTUNATELY, the security was high and no photos were allowed inside, so all I can show is the things at the base on the outside of the facilities. Tobyhanna used to be an artillery shooting range and inside (in the museum) there is a lot of ammo, both WWI era shells and projectiles, and modern missiles, but I can't show either. So, enjoy little I have.

2012_06220033.jpg2012_06220026.jpg2012_06220021.jpg2012_06220038.jpg2012_06220049.jpg

The gate guard at Cold Lake airbase in Alberta Canada....Pete.

Attachments

• 3_7%20AAA.jpg
    3_7%20AAA.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 22
  • jet-4.jpg
    jet-4.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 21