What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZDZ.U. 49.60 Landmine fuze

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Here are some pictures of the ZDZ. U. 49/60 Landmine fuze. Does anyone have a cutaway picture of the fuze? I am also looking for the tilt rod for it.

I am going to be getting this X-Rayed soon, and when I do I will post images.

Joe

Attachments

• DSC_5891.jpg
    DSC_5891.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_5906.jpg
    DSC_5906.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_5897.jpg
    DSC_5897.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 70
This is a (Manipulier= manipulate) training model (U = Unterricht)(Dummy) of the swiss landmine fuze and does not contain any moving parts. So, save your time and don't get it X-rayed. This type of fuze, that is used only to teach the laying of mines, seems to be a swiss speciality. Attached is a page from the very nice book about swiss fuzes by Peter Jaeggi. Here you can see how the real thing , the ZDZ 49 , is constructed.
regards,
Bellifortis.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Hi Bellifortis,
I have two questions about your answer :

1. with wich mine is this fuze used ?
2. Is it possible to buy the book of Peter Jaeggi and, if yes, wherre ? If no, who could I receive a "copy" of it ?

Yoda

Hi Yoda,
you see the "Pfahlmine 49" pictured on the upper right of the page 190. pfahlmine translates to stick-or pole-mine. The mine is attached to a short wooden pole rammed into the earth. The book "Die Znder der Schweitzer Armee 1848-2000" by Peter Jaeggi, Verlag Merker in Effingerhof, 2006, ISBN 3-85648-131-1 I consider the best book about fuzes that I have ever seen on the civilian market. When I bought it shortly after it appeared I paid 100,- Euro for it. I consider it cheap and more than worth its money. Nicely bound hardcover with many coloured pictures. To really derive all the info it contains you should understand the german language. But its worth getting it even just for the pictures. You can order it directly from the publisher in Switzerland or try to get one on the antiquarian book market. When looking at the drawing of the fuze again yesterday, it appeared to me, that it has quite a few design elements of the WW2 vintage german "Kippznder".
regards,
Bellifortis.
Hi Bellifortis,
I have two questions about your answer :

1. with wich mine is this fuze used ?
2. Is it possible to buy the book of Peter Jaeggi and, if yes, wherre ? If no, who could I receive a "copy" of it ?

Yoda

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what the cross on some Swiss ordnance means? In the book picture the fuze has a cross on it. Is that an acceptance stamp?

Joe

Hello Joe,

what You do have is the shortened detonator version ZDZ 49/60 and Your specimen is marked Manip. for "Manipulier", this can also mean consisting of all INERT components - but all mechnical moving parts (as classroom-trainer) are included, so not necessarily a solid piece of metal only.

Here to compare my regular long detonator ZDZ 49, also a Manipulier-version (the abbreviation ZDZ stands for Zug-Druck-Zünder = Pull-Pressure-Fuze), also my fuze is a 100 % inert, note on the lower center part the cross-knurled marking for identification during darkness.

Last picture shows the support for constrution a booby-trap / or an expedient-AP-Mine (as per swiss mine reference book, see above shown sketch in the right corner).

Best regards, Ralf

DSC01588.jpgDSC01593.jpgDSC01597.jpgDSC01595.jpgDSC01599.jpgDSC01602.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Joe,
after so many years I looked again at your first pictures of the swiss fuze. At the time I thought that it is a "Manipulierzünder". More than 20 years ago there were a lot of these available on trade shows. The "Manip ZDZ 49" has no internal mechanics and is used only in the training of laying these mines. Only now I notice that your fuze is stamped ZDZ U. 49/60 . The U. in german stands for "Unterricht"/ classroom model. I have never seen one of these. You are lucky to have found one, there won't be many around. As your nice Xray shows, it contains all the mechanical parts of a real fuze, but it is inert. Lucky find.
Bellifortis.

Thanks for all the responses ...
I am still trying to figure out though if the cross on the Swiss fuzes are acceptance stamps or if they mean something else.
Also, what number are they using on the box for the manufacturer code?

Joe

Hello Joe,
the numbers on the swiss box are similar to your NSN numbers and the manufacturer and date are normaly stamped on the box
Erik

...sorry for the bad quality - I had only my camera and thought it might support at least a little bit for the first. I promise that I will do a propper scan and make it available as soon as I can. Also all packages and laying details are available in the manual - so also the practice-versions (only in german language)

BR,

Ralf

P1160948.jpgP1160951.jpgP1160953.jpgP1160954.jpgP1160955.jpgP1160966.jpgP1160967.jpgP1160968.jpgP1160969.jpgP1160970.jpgP1160971.jpgP1160972.jpgP1160981.jpgP1160982.jpgP1160983.jpgP1160985.jpgP1160986.jpgP1160987.jpgP1160988.jpgP1160990.jpgP1160991.jpg