What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very nice Blowpipe transit case

gravelbelly

This Blowpipe case/box (whatever it should be called) is in as new condition. The photos are the only description that is needed I think.

P1010031.jpgP1010033.jpgP1010034.jpgP1010035.jpgP1010036.jpgP1010037.jpgP1010038.jpg

gravelbelly

Attachments

• P1010032.jpg
    P1010032.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 48
Very nice but I think it's a practice Javelin.

Regards

Aha! So that shows how little I know about these things, they didn't have them in the Navy in my time! Thank you for the correction. Was the Javelin used in a similar way to the blowpipe?

gravelbelly

I used to make (refurbish was the term used!) these when I was in the Army. It was a metal "dart" fired by the first stage rocket motor to familiarise the firer to the launch of the missile. The original high explosive/live missile was known as the Blowpipe and manufactured by Short Brothers in Belfast in the early/mid 1970s. After modifications to improve performance it became known as the Javelin. To add confusion the Americans introduced the Javelin surface to surface anti tank missile in mid 1990s just as the British were developing the Starstreak/HVM missile as a replacement to the Javelin anti aircraft missile.

Thanks for the info john p :)

i have always known these to be blowpipes when I have seen them at shows and in my books, so that was interesting info about the evolution of it as its not an item I properly researched in great depth.
As for javelin I naturally thought of the current anti tank one, which I have studied and see all the time, Hense my comment above, and knew it looked nothing like the pics.
Guess you sometimes have a tunnelled vision mind when it comes to certain things and that's all you think about, and forget there's other stuff out there with the same name's, but I naturally thought of the current javelin as its anti tank and I am bazooka Chris after all :) so I am the first to admit and hold my hands up if I have got something wrong, and apologise to fzg76.

From bazooka Chris

Last edited:
If you wish, I have pictures of Blowpipe and have the opportunity to take some pictures.
I have the famous hollow charge. Very strange for a missile air space ...

Here is a guidance gyroscope in my collection that I was told belongs to the BLOWPIPE missile.

Jason

IMG_5737.JPGIMG_5742 B&W.jpg

In case anyone wants to see the Javelin in action:

[video=youtube_share;K-SmfybCbsY]http://youtu.be/K-SmfybCbsY[/video]

"In case anyone wants to see the Javelin in action:"

Not to be confused with Blowpipe's successor.