What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show us your Wooden Drill Rounds

Two possibly 6" wooden drill rounds in the Navy Museum in Cochin India.
DSC_0015.jpg

From what I understand this variation is less common. Also see the height of the base. It is nearly double that of the one with the brass collar. I have seen another photo of a similar one to mine posted by another member. Will try to find and post it.

No screw holes.

Well spotted.

Hi Andy,
thanks for clarifying,always good to see different variations.
Tim

In my possesion since yesterday. A Kaiserliche Marine WW1 150x815R drill round filled with wood. Beat up, big split in the side but I don't think a lot off these will be available so glad I got it.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Here is my small collection of Wood drill rounds , I am looking for a 40mm Bofors and 25 pdr wood round if anyone has a spare to sell or trade. I have several spare 2 pdr drills rounds.

Rob..................rnixartilleryDrill rounds.jpg

54  4.7in Drill, Mk.IX & XII Guns, before repair.jpg55  4.7in Drill, Mk.IX & XII Guns, before repair.jpg52  4.7in Mks IX & XII Guns, Drill , top.jpg56  4.7in Drill after cleaning & filling.jpg57  4.7in Drill, after varnishing.jpgHi All,
Recently acquired a Drill round for the 4.7" Mark IX and XII guns. It has been for many years languishing in the office of someone I know in one of the Naval establishments at Portsmouth, and it came to him out of one of the stores on site. When I asked him about it, he said it was no good to him, and if I wanted it, I should take it away!

It had clearly had a hard life, the teak body being covered with gouges and dents. The first two photos show it in the condition I received it; the 3rd photo shows the brass "front" end before polishing; the fourth photo after all the gouges had been filled and the wood sanded smooth, and the final photo shows it varnished and with the brass head and "mouth" polished. It measures 125x783R153, and is quite heavy. No way would I have wanted to have to carry one of these around on a deck that was pitching and heaving in an Atlantic gale!

Roger.

Dents in wood can often be raised by placing a wet cloth over the dent and applying a hot iron onto the cloth. The resulting steam swells the wood grain and lifts the dent. It may need to be repeated several times. It is a method used to remove dents on gunstocks.

40 mm Bofors Wooden Drill rounds

The current pride and joy of my drill round collection.

A big thank you to Rhys and George for the new additions.~~~

Both in very good condition.

Would MC be Canadian?

Any clues on the packing tube ? It came with the Royal Laboratories Drill.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
The Australian 40mm case was converted to a Drill round by H.B/V - Hansen & Brickness, Melbourne.

TimG

P.S. Cylinder almost certainly made by PC - Paton, Calvert & Co., Ltd. Binns Road, Old Swan, Liverpool.
“ Brilliant” Stoneycroft 2721

Last edited:
Here's an update to my picture, although three of them arent strictly speaking wooden!.
If anyone has more German or Russian items I'd like to see...Although not all are common, I assume they're all obvious.

Drill rounds-c8.jpg

Rich

Hi Brian, Sure

Front row, Left to Right

• German 3,7cm Kwk / Pak 1939
  • German 3,7cm Flak 1944
  • German 5cm Kwk38 1941
  • German 5cm PaK39 1941
  • British 40mm 1939
  • British 2PR 1942
  • British 2PR 1942
  • British 2PR 1942 Marked with Firestone F
  • British 2PR Unmarked
  • British 25PR 1942 Marked with Firestone F

Back row, Left to Right
  • Russian 76mm UO-340 HE 1944/52/67 (Presumably an Education round not drill)
  • US 75mm Gun 1944 M16 (M1897, M1916 & M1917 UMC 1944)
  • US 75mm 1944
  • British 17PR 1942
  • British 6PR 1942
  • British 6PR 1942/1943
  • US 90mm M82 Drill M82 Undated

Rich

120 mm BAT - Battalion Anti-Tank Drill

Very pleased with the postman. Thank you George.

120 mm BAT (Battalion Anti-Tank) Drill round received today.

Weight 27 kgs

IMG_0052.JPGoriginal[1].jpgoriginal[2].jpgoriginal[3].jpgimage2 (006).JPG

Attachments

• original[4].jpg
    original[4].jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited: