What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 20mm Naval Flak

orcutteod

I was hoping I could get more info on this Naval 20mm round I'm not familiar with the brown/white ring color code or the letter number code near the belt of the shell case. Also first flak round I have come across with a brass shell so I'm thinking maybe an early one.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 153
Hi,
Most unusual. What is the head-stamp on the case please ?
Thanks & regards

Strange, I always thought the star is a marking for this round as used in the Panzerbuchse, but I am then surprised it has a Kriegsmarine projectile.....

I thought the brown colour coding of the HET projectile was for export to Holland - the case probably confirms this too. The Kriegsmarine acceptance stamp appears a little unusual. Nice round.

This is a normal early (pre war) AP-T round.
The occurance of a KM stamp makes it somewhat unusual, as in not seen frequently, but as German inspectors or inspection sites had their own stamps, and did their jobs regardless of what part of the armed services the ammo was destined for, there really is nothing extremely noteworthy about this round.
The stamps above the belt however have got me puzzled...

regards,

Menno

Enclosed is a auction picture of the same rounds that I posted. I have been told these rounds are very tough to find in Europe because most were sold as surplus from Sweden to the US after the war and over time were used up.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 99
Auction description.
Estimated Price: $8,000 - $18,000
Description: SN 1368. Cal 20mm. 52" bbl. Swiss model S18-1000 semi-auto anti-tank gun manufactured in 1940. Gun is all purple-hued bluing with a black rubber buttplate. Cocking/crank handle on right side receiver. The magazine-well with a spring loaded dust cover is on left side on receiver. Utilizes heavy bipod on front (adjustable for elevation), and monopod at rear. Telescopic sight on left side of receiver. Tangent rear sight (graduated 200-1500 meters) on top of scope. Removable bbl with two muzzle breaks (large and small) SN1283 and SN 1523 (too bad they don't match gun SN). Front and rear leather bbl covers included as well as ten 10-rnd magazines. One grey canvas 2-cell magazine carrier and 1-cell cloth magazine carrier. Canvas cleaning rod kit complete with cleaning rod. One gunners tool wallet which appears to be complete with bbl wrench, pliers, hammer and other tools. Orig entrenching pick present. Also zippered leather spare parts case with tins containing many various small parts. 19 live rnds, one inert display round included as well as, cut-out vintage advertisement showing what an assortment such as this sold for in the past, as well as an article from 1976 Guns and Ammo Annual showcasing this weapon. Also included are the prior owners handwritten notes about its operation, parts and translation of nomenclature into English. All comes in fitted wooden crate covered in field gray paint and serialized to the gun. This is a National Firearms Act item and requires BATF approval for transfer. CONDITION: Overall finish and appearance extremely fine on all gun parts. Magazines more of a grey patina and have grease protecting them. Tools and tool wallet in extremely fine, serviceable condition. Grey canvas mag pouch extremely fine. Cloth mag pouch very good, serviceable condition. Ammunition near excellent in orig cardboard tubes except for one inert rnd which is loose. Transit chest in fine orig condition with orig paint and SN handwritten on the exterior. A treasure for the WW II Destructive Device collector. Not so perfect that it should not be fired, but still exceedingly nice. 48865-1 JWK18 C&R