What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info needed on a Morris Tube.

MissingSomething

I have a Morris tube in .297/230 long and it is 25" overall in length. I was told it was for a No. 1 Mk 3 but it is about an inch too short. It has a .303 chamber type and a rotating extractor that to me would indicate a bolt action.

I don't have any pictures at the moment but it looks like the one pictured in the 1935 A.G. Parker Catalogue as shown in the link.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/index-3.h...e_Aiming_Tubes

Anyone know what rifle it would be used in as the barrel would have to be under 22 inches?

Any help would be appreciated.

The Lee Metford Carbine used a Morris aiming tube with a barrel length of 21.3 inches,approved and mentioned in the list of changes on 21 March 1895, according to Skennerton the .230"(.297/230") Morris tube was never used for the SMLE but briefly did use a .22" (.220") Morris aiming tube,not announced in list of changes until 1907,until .22" trainer SMLE's were manufactured....the LM marked on your tube could well stand for Lee Metford?

Tony

The Lee Metford Carbine used a Morris aiming tube with a barrel length of 21.3 inches,approved and mentioned in the list of changes on 21 March 1895, according to Skennerton the .230"(.297/230") Morris tube was never used for the SMLE but briefly did use a .22" (.220") Morris aiming tube,not announced in list of changes until 1907,until .22" trainer SMLE's were manufactured....the LM marked on your tube could well stand for Lee Metford?

Tony

Thanks Tony, I figured that it was for the Lee Metford, but... Most tubes that I can find documentation on were 30+ inches, 26 inches and 21 inches (military issue)..... Has LM and a serial number..... Its also in .303 British. This one is 25 inched OAL.....

So.. what does this fit in???

Been reading up on these,LM did indeed stand for Lee Metford and LMCC was for the carbine.....as yours was made for the Lee Metford one very likely reason is that it has been shortened to match one of the many shortened and 'sporterised' 'long Lee's' that were converted after being taken into the trade.

Tony