What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35x228mm DIVAD round

Spaceinvader

Hello all,
I got offered this round earlier today for 150$. The gent said its from an experimental Honeywell DIVAD AA system. This looks like a nice round and I would be interested to add it to my collection. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it real? I've never heard of this round and can't find anything online about the gun system or the round. Thanks very much?

Hmm sorry guys, can't upload pictures for whatever reason (I think its on my end). Will post the pics later when I am home. In the meantime can anyone give info about the system?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 76
See text: So it seems the Sgt York was tested with 35x228 as wel as 40 L70. The latter won, but the complete project was cancelled in the end. At 00.30 one can see the Sgt York with a twin 35x228 mount.
Looking at the explosions arounds the helikopter the KZD-336 proximity fuzed MSD 054 HE is used; the last cartridge in the Original Swiss service series I am still looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfELF24mvwg

Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Thanks pzgr40, Ive heard of the 40mm sgt. york but didnt know it came in 35mm too. I see one picture posted? Weird, here is the other too. You guys think its worth it? It looks very interesting. 35mm DIVAD.jpg35mm DIVAD1.jpg35mmDIVAD2.jpg

Various gun options were considered for the DIVAD programme, as described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M247_Sergeant_York

"Sperry Rand entered a system based on their older Vigilante gun, modified to fire the 35 mm round from the Oerlikon KDA series, widely used in NATO in the anti-aircraft role.[SUP][14][/SUP] The gun could be fired at 3,000 rounds per minute for anti-aircraft use, or 180 rounds per minute for use against ground targets, fed from a 1,464 round magazine. The aluminium turret was topped by two radars and an IFF system, all from Sperry.
General Electric entered a version with a small turret mounting their 30 mm GAU-8 Avenger cannon from the A-10 Thunderbolt II. It included a single search/track radar adapted from the earlier FAAR, although they later suggested an improved system.
Raytheon proposed using the turret from the Dutch version of the German Gepard flakpanzer. Most of the turret remained the same as the original Gepard, including the twin 35 mm Oerlikon KDA cannons, but used Hollandse Signaalapparaten radars and an Oerlikon Contraves fire-control computer. Raytheon demonstrated that the turret, although designed for the Leopard 1, could be mounted on the M48 with some adaptation.
General Dynamics' entry also mounted twin Oerlikon KDA cannons, but mounted them side-by-side in a new aluminum turret, as opposed to either side of the turret as in the Gepard. They could be fired in either the automatic or semiautomatic mode, and their combined rate of fire was 1,100 rounds per minute from a 600 round magazine. The radar and fire control systems were derived from their Phalanx CIWS system, with the tracking radar mounted on the front of the turret, beside the guns, and the search radar on top. The turret also included independently stabilized optical sights and a laser range finder for manual engagements.[SUP][13][/SUP]
Ford Aerospace's entry was based around the Bofors 40 mm L/70 cannons, twin-mounted in the center of the turret in a fashion similar to the General Dynamics entry. The relatively large and boxy turret also mounted separate long-range search and short-range tracking radars on top. The radars were mounted on booms to give them a clear view of the sky, and both had the ability to be folded down to reduce the vehicle's height during travel. The tracking radar was a modified version of the Westinghouse AN/APG-66 from the F-16 Fighting Falcon. Like the GD entry, it also mounted a complete optical sighting and ranging system."

Since the requirement was extremely urgent, the obvious solution was to choose the Raytheon proposal since it was the only one to use a thoroughly proven system. But there is no accounting for the decisions of military organisations....

Thank you very much Tony, I have never heard any of that info, and like I said earlier I had no idea it came in a 35mm version. You guys think this round is worth the 150$? It would be a cool piece, I have some other 35mm stuff coming later this year too, so it would be a good addition.

Thanks guys, I have never heard of these so I think I will see if we can reach a deal. I hope I can add it to the collection :)

Just some additional info regarding the 35mm in the U.S. One division of Honeywell was located in the Los Angeles vicinity during the time that this gun was being evaluated. Norris Industries, also located in East L.A. was contracted to make a quantity of steel cases for the testing etc. The actual cases are painted a dark almost black color and had their identification info ink printed on the side of the case. The U.S.-made cases are some of the hardest to find.

The case you show appears to be aluminum, most likely used as a dummy, instead of a steel service case. Another detail that leads to this conclusion, is the threaded primer hole. But I can't confirm this from the photos. Be aware that if it is aluminum, it wasn't a service case. I have only ever seen steel 35mm service cases.

Last edited: