What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

they still turn up! Victorian No.54

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
just goes to show, you do have to keep rooting about. This No.54 turned up recently and at 10 doean't seem unreasonable. A quick clean is all that is needed. DView attachment 104824

Attachments

• 100_6654.jpg
    100_6654.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 107
Nice one mate. But could you tell me, what is this? :)

its a time & percussion fuze (large domed), introduced in 1887 & declared obsolete in 1920. It would have been used on large calibre shrapnel shells. Its a lot harder to find than the the more common smaller domed fuzes seen on 10, 12 & 15pdrs. see attached for comparison. D

Attachments

• 100_6661.jpg
    100_6661.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 94
Nice find, Victorian era ordnance is the best. though being 1904 dated this one is Edwardian :tinysmile_twink_t:

Last edited:
Dave,

Nice collection!

Can you please provide more details (photos) on the second one on the left (next to the No 54)?

Looks unusual.

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Nice find, Victorian era ordnance is the best. though being 1904 dated this one is Edwardian :tinysmile_twink_t:

almost right - but totally wrong, its not an Edwardian design Ben! Actually, the 04 date was its reissue date not date of manufacture. But I'm glad I don't work in Milletts!! :wink:

Dave,

Nice collection!

Can you please provide more details (photos) on the second one on the left (next to the No 54)?

Looks unusual.

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

hi Drew, its a No. 55. Very similar to the 56 but having a nose exhaust port rather than a side port. Dave

Hi Dave,

I was aware of the No 55 but never seen one before until now - no doubt much harder to find that the No 56s.

Nice collection!

Cheers
Drew

Hi Dave,

I was aware of the No 55 but never seen one before until now - no doubt much harder to find that the No 56s.

Nice collection!

Cheers
Drew

hi Drew, yes, its the only one I've ever seen. It came with another 54, a 24, a 138 and several other uncommon fuzes from an old chap who was having to go into a home.

Dave

I also was under the impression that the date stamp was either the manufactured date or date of conversion(s) - not sure what a "re-issue" date is if it not the date of manufacture?

They seem consistent around that era stamping any modifications - the photo shows this original No 56 being converted twice:

1) Manufatcured as No 56 in 1901;
2) Converted to a No 61 in 1902;
3) Converted to a No 60c in 1904

Dave,
If it is not too much trouble, could you to please post some markings of your No 55, I'm especially interested in the "II"
Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• IMAG0582[1].jpg
    IMAG0582[1].jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 19