What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Markings on 4 lb. Incendiary bomb

Antoon

Ordnance approved
In a document of the Dutch Police dated 28 June 1940 is mentioned:

Found a bomb with on the head of the bomb the markings "Houston (?) 1938". On one of the six sides the markings J.C.J./L. 7/38 1452 17 5 08 and on one of the other sides the markings P.B.O.B.

I think this must be a British 4 lb. incendiary bomb. Can someone tell me which factory (J.C.J./L.) has made this bomb and what the letters P.B.O.B. means? Was "Houston also a factory in the UK?

Greetings - Antoon

Hi Antoon,
should it not be possible was I.C.I. in place of J.C.J. ?
ICI was the producer of the filling of the 4lb INC.
If you can wait a few days, I put an interesting book in the download section about the british incendiary bombs of WW II.

Yoda

Last edited:
Yoda,

Thanks foor the info.

If you mean Report No. 23/46 of the Armament Design Establisment of the Ministry of Supply (The development of British Incendiary bombs during the period of the 1939-1945 war). That document have I found already on the internet.

Greetings - Antoon

Yoda,

Thanks foor the info.

If you mean Report No. 23/46 of the Armament Design Establisment of the Ministry of Supply (The development of British Incendiary bombs during the period of the 1939-1945 war). That document have I found already on the internet.

Greetings - Antoon

Yes, it's this one !

Yoda

The letters in the report are difficult to read, but yes it is I.C.I/L 7/38. The markings on the head is maybe H???bax I 1938.

Greetings - Antoon