What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M24 Grenade Sticks - Linseed Oil or Not?

M8owner

I just added my first M24 stick grenade to the collection. The wood is very dry. I have had much success in the past using linseed oil on old wood. However, this is a rather expensive piece of wood. What kind of damage would I be doing the value of the grenade if I oiled the wood?

Thank you for your advice.

Steve

Originally the wood on sticks were not treated by any stuff - just clean wood surface. If the wood in yours is so aged that it may peel off slowly then oil treatment may protect it. Otherwise there is no idea to oil it.

Hello,
The sticks were initially lacquered with linseed oi
l (at least some; yellowish colour). Below a stick in original condition:
233.jpg

Can you post a photo of the handle you want to treat please? as it will depend on the condition now,, may have to clean it first then seal it otherwise youll seal the crud onto the wood :(
it is a matter of preference as to what you like,, nice white new wood look or yellowish tint to handle, your call.. but you'll need to prep it first though prior to oiling,

I went ahead and applied the oil back in March. The wood is darker now, but I think it looks better. The wood looked like it was going to crumble before. Hard to tell in the photo. I did not take a before shot.
photo (23).JPG