What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unidentiied German (?) contract fuze any ideas?

Here the complete shell and a picture of the shellcase bottom.
Regards, DJH
Hi DJH,
attached is a foto of the same type shellcase, but with a small difference to the one you posted. your's has a WAA-stamp on it, so it was meant for use by the german army. My foto does not have the WAA-stamp. Also both shellcases come from the same export contract for Afghanistan, they must have come from different cases, whose ways parted after manufacture.

Attachments

• Bottom of shellcase.jpg
    Bottom of shellcase.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 51
The czech fuze in post No13 may be the rest from the Skoda pre-war export contracts for 40 mountain guns CD, 16 mountain howitzers D8 and 16 light howitzers F8 (Afghan designation Mod.38). Apparently the D8 howitzers were not delivered, due to the new german rulers, and became the equipment of german SS mountain brigade.

Source: Francev Vladimir: Ceskoslovenske zbrane ve svete - (Czechoslovak weapons in the world)

Bob

Bob,
thank you for this info.
CD mountain gun was 105/24
D8 mountain howitzer 75/22
F8 light howitzer?

best regards

I would like to pick up this discussion again, because 2 questions have not been answered. What gun is this ammunition ment for ? I could not find any description on the net of "D8 mountain howitzer 75/22". 75/22 is inscribed on the fuze, the shell and on the shellcase bottom. The above fuze is similar to an AZ 23 but also has many differences on the outside. The threaded part is much longer and parting-line of the 2 part-assembled fuze is lower on the fuze. I can not believe that Afghanistan developed its own ammunition. Its near to certain that they bought other countries guns. The shellcase is 160mm long. The shells are fully painted red and yellow. What does this stand for ? Which ammunition fits this data ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Hallo,
I would like to renew my question, because it has not been answered in more than a year. The fuze has the unusual (for german fuzes 60mm) dia. of 53mm. The threaded portion has a standard dia. of 50mm but is 30mm long, instaed of 18mm for the AZ 23. The complete length is 107mm. I also would appreciate any info on the above mentioned D8-75/22 gun. Thank you for your kind consideration,
Bellifortis.

Yes, it was a Rheinmetall development and was exported to Afghanistan in the late 30's. The fuze, projectile and brass case were all dated 1937-1939 and made by Rheinmetall. I have seen the original wooden crate with 3 complete rounds in it.
The fuze was a little different than the standard German fuzes; it has a booster attached to it and incorporates a pyrotechnical arming feature with an additional delay/non-delay adjustment on its side.

Attachments

• AZ Afghanistan, cut,1b, GE,.jpg
    AZ Afghanistan, cut,1b, GE,.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 34
  • AZ Afghanistan, cut,1a, GE,.jpg
    AZ Afghanistan, cut,1a, GE,.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 34
Hi @Nabob,
i just noticed your interesting link. Because of the designation "D8 mountain howitzer 75/22" and the stamping 75/22 appearing on the bottom of the german manufactured cases I would have thought this to be ammunition for the D8 howitzer. But, the Rheinmetall manufactured rounds w.fuzes are 3inch (75mm) rounds and not 105mm for the D8. Are there any czech fuzes (around 1935-1938) with this very long threading and the unusual (for german practice) dia. as mentioned above. Could the stamp 75/22, on the bottom of the brass-casing, be the caliber 75mm/ ? ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Hi, sorry for my late reply.
the thread 50x3 was not used in pre war Czechoslovakia. (but I am sure that it could be manufacured on customers request)
The 22 in 75/22 is the barrel length in calibers. In Czech literature its usualy in d/22 format.
There is a mistake in Ferts post that I missed. CD is 75mm and D8 and F8 are both 105mmm using the same barrel.
The CD mountain gun has barrel length of 1345mm that is 18x75.
Bob

Last edited: