What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII US Bomb Fuze Tin Question

Oct41

I recently acquired the following fuze tins: WWII AN-M103 (empty) and a AN-M101A1(empty). I was wondering how the fuzes were stored in these cans? Did the fuzes have cardboard collar(s) around them to protect them from hitting the sides of the container? Any info is appreciated. Also if anyone has one of the two fuzes mentioned and wants to part with them I would be interested.

Thank you,
Oct41

I recently acquired the following fuze tins: WWII AN-M103 (empty) and a AN-M101A1(empty). I was wondering how the fuzes were stored in these cans? Did the fuzes have cardboard collar(s) around them to protect them from hitting the sides of the container? Any info is appreciated. Also if anyone has one of the two fuzes mentioned and wants to part with them I would be interested.

Thank you,
Oct41

There are several different tins that the M103 fuses came in ( packed alone, packed with vane, packed with a tail fuse) the ones I have have a cardboard disk in the bottom, and a sheet metal disc with a slot in it along with more cardboard to center the fuse in the can. The M103 fits pretty snug in the common round can.

The only M101 fuse I have is unopened so I'm not sure how it's packed.

Most of the common WW2 US fuses are REALLY hard to find, especially in there original containers. I was told that this is because most were used up in Korea and Vietnam ,and the M103 fit a huge variety of bombs from 100 to 1000 lbs. Finding them in there original cans is hard because they were packed live (with at least the primer/detonators) so to make them safe, you'd have to open the cans ....

If I can figure out how to post pic's , I'll post a few..

John

John,

Thanks for the info! I have one of the "combo" cans with the nose and tail fuzes being packed together. I also have two the single fuze cans marked "Fuze Bomb, Nose An-m103 - Less vane" I picked them up for a larger restoration project that I am working on and figured they would look great as an accessory.

The AN-M103/series of fuzes seem to be hard to come by. I have been looking for one for long time just to have representative example to go with my project/bombs/tins.

To have an unopened fuze is pretty awesome. The closest I have is an M110 fuze that still has the safety wire with the lead seal and tag. I have it in a little display case on my office shelf.

Thanks again for the information and would love to see the pics if you can post them.

Thanks,
Scott