What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Practice Bomb Recovery Parachute

M8owner

I found a round canister in an antique store today that was marked as the recovery parachute for a dummy bomb. I believe it was WWII vintage. The cylinder was olive drab color and approx. 18 inches long and 8 inches in diameter. I could have picked it up for $50 and the parachute was inside. Should I have bought this? Sorry, I did not get a picture. I had to leave it behind as I ran out of cash from buying all the other ordnance items. I have seen lots of practice bombs but nothing like this before.

Should I have bought this?

They say you cannot have it all, but that doesn't stop us from trying.

Shame you didn't get a photo, could have given us something to drool over.....

Did it look like this :tinysmile_cry_t: (TM 9-1980 Bombs-for-Aircraft-1942 & TM 9-1980 Bombs-for-Aircraft 1944, no diagrams in the 1944 TM)? :

Attachments

• Practice bomb parachute case.jpg
    Practice bomb parachute case.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Practice bomb parachute case b.png
    Practice bomb parachute case b.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Practice bomb parachute case, a.png
    Practice bomb parachute case, a.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 42
  • TM 9-1980 1944.jpg
    TM 9-1980 1944.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Additional use of bomb parachute (TM 9-1980 Bombs-for-Aircraft-1942 & TM 9-1980 Bombs-for-Aircraft 1944):

Attachments

• Bomb Parachute.png
    Bomb Parachute.png
    153 KB · Views: 29
  • FRAG w- Chute.jpg
    FRAG w- Chute.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
M8owner, .............maybe when your funds are recuperated you ought to go back and get it...............certainly an interesting item and price sounds very reasonable.

regards Kev

Hey BD, it looked like the unit screwed into the back of the 23 lb frag bomb in your pictures.

I only had $300 and that went fast as the guy only likes cash deals. I found: TOW missile tube, 90mm 1941 projectile with fuse, multiple 37mm rounds, multiple US artillery fuses. I forgot about the parachute as I was giggling and hauling my finds away.

I can probably call the shop and work out a deal where he holds it for me until my next trip - it is one of my regular stops in my hunt for goodies. The chute would not fit in my collection. If anyone really wants me to go after it, then send me a PM, and I will see what I can do.

I have it now, and it is much nicer than I recall. The parachute is still sealed inside. This is not really my thing. Anyone have a nice WWII tank or antitank cannon round to trade?

SteveIMG_1817[1].jpgIMG_1815[1].jpgIMG_1816[1].jpg