What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm

I've seen others as solo pieces. Never with the match holder & ashtray.

"Authentic"? As in originally a live/loaded projectile? Probably maybe. But there are variations. What I'd call common, as in not rare.

It was an Maxim pattern projectile adopted by the German Navy in 1897. These cutters were made
commercially, this one "likely" post ww1, pre ww1 kinds used the older Gruson pattern German projectile.
The oldest one I have seen was made to look like a 37mm in the older pattern, but was not a real
projectile at all. It came in at 35mm, the upper & lower band was cast with the body and had a thin copper
sheet formed to cover the band to make it look real. There was also a projectile altered with a wick that could be
passed around to light cigars sold with the trimmer, quite rare I think. Yours is a definite upgrade with the holder.
Other types of projectile were altered also, what ever was available really and could be modified.
I found images.
The old cutter had a mostly flaked off nickle plating. You can see the copper covering of the bands in the secound image.
something like could easily date to the 1880s or 90s before these rounds became surplus.
The pair shows a projectile like yours and the lighter with a fuze top cap, it has no sparking or lighting
mechanism. The last is a Gruson projectile likely altered in 1919 perhaps in Belgium, it had a Canadian
badge on it. When the German projectiles are altered the hole through the top is widened for the cutter and about
1/16"-1/8" in height is lost, so they can't be restored. The Gruson had a wider flatter top and didn't loose
height and was restored as they are rare enough to warrant the trouble.

Attachments

• German37early?.jpg
    German37early?.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 36
  • CigarCuttr.jpg
    CigarCuttr.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 30
  • CigarSet.JPG
    CigarSet.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 36
  • GrusonAsNipper.jpg
    GrusonAsNipper.jpg