What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian 18cm S-23 Case

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured is what I think is a case from the modern Russian 18cm S-23 field gun. My understanding is that this gun was designed in the 1950's and has seen action with the Egyptian and Syrian forces as well as service within the Soviet Union. The case has a rim of 225mm, length of 855mm and mouth diameter of 197mm. I would offer that this particular example was made in 1987. Pictured alongside a 100x695 case for comparison. Confirmation of my identification and any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 81
This is case for Russian 152mm 2A36 gun.
Illusory, because the case's mouth diameter much bigger than 152mm.

Very many thanks for your identification, I must admit I rejected the 152mm calibre as the mouth is undamaged and far from this size!

Thanks Hazord

Sadly no, I can read a little Russian but nothing of value on this case. I picked up a couple of Russian items from the same source, I suspect they came from a European arms manufacturer which may have considered making ammunition for Russian weapons.

Hi

Would a case with the same dimensions but a length of 960 mm also be for the 2A36?

The mouth is about 191-197 mm (rather banged up), length 960 mm, rim 225 mm. The markings on the side are No. 2; 152; [propellant data]; 1-87-13.

The item is part of the collection of the Canadian war museum (where I volunteer), and was picked up in the Iran-Iraq area during the UN mission UNIIMOG.

Thanks

Doug

There's also a Norinco Type 83 152mm gun........it use a 152x960R case but the rim diameter is apparently 170mm because it is an extended 152x547R x170 case (from the D-30 etc)
So the 960mm long case with a 225mm rim is interesting .... but the markings seem to confirm that it's for the 2A 36 etc even though 855mm seems to be the "normal" length

Last edited: