What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10,5 cm german projectile

Bellifortis

Some time ago I got this 10,5 cm projectile that's made of WW2 Bakelit or Pertinax. It is 39cm long and it seems that on the bottom a part is broken off. It's weight is 3,2 kg. I have never before seen anything like this. Does anyone of you know what use this, quite light,inert projectile had. ?
regards,
Bellifortis.10,5 cm 001.jpg

as far as i know there are no documents about this projectile. What unusual is, is that yours has been fired. I have only seen not fired projectiles untill now. The word is that it is a pratice projectile (like the nipolit handgrandes of germany) with thin layer of steel around it. the examples that circulate in our collectors world are relic founds so the thin layer of steel has been oxidated away in the years.Hope that some other collector do have doucments or more accurate info!!!!Best regardsDM

Hallo DM 53,
thanks for your answer. I also surmised a training projectile, but I do not think that mine was covered with a metal-sheeth. Also note the different colour of the fuze-end. By the way, the Nipolit hand grenades and other Nipolit charges were no training devices but cheap and easy to produce charges that saved on direly needed raw-material. But, the projectile could be one of the "Ersatz" munitions, most probably training. I'm surprised that I have not seen any mentioning of this type anywhere. The ones you have seen, were any assembled as a complete round with their shellcasing and did you see yourself rests of a metal-sheeth ?
regards,
Bellifortis.

Keramik-Geschosse wurden auf dem Versuchsschiessplatz Hillersleben gefunden. Gruss Joerg. Keramik.jpgKeramik 2-2.jpgKeramik 2-3.jpgKeramik 2-4.jpg

Hello,
this is the first i see in 10.5cm always seen in 7.5cm.

I think it's very light for a 10.5cm that weighs around 15Kg. Could it be an Ub shell for short range practice fired with a special reduced charge?

here a 7.5cm Ub pertinax from the web
7,5cm Ub Pertinax.jpg