What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M120 Photoflash Bomb paint scheme

DEADLINE222

1950s-10.jpg

Here we have an image of a M122 photoflash bomb and two different images of the M120 photoflash bomb.

Based on my research, the M120 casing was based on a modified M70 chemical bomb casing. The M120 was manufactured by the Universal Match Corporation who's production facilities was located with the Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant from 1952 to 1956.

The proper box fin were modified AN-M103, 100 pound fins that were modified by the addition of three holes per box-strut to allow the installation of a trail-edge-kit that would alter the flight path of the bomb. The modified fin nomenclature was M125A1.

The reason for my questioning is based off of the conflicting fin colors found on the above images.

My question is:

What would the paint scheme have been on the M120 directly concerning the box fin?

I am wondering if the box fin would have been painted gray in lines with the casing (as shown in above image)?

If the box fin were painted gray, would there be stenciling, perhaps comparable to the AN-M fins paint scheme?

In the event an originally painted (although modified) AN-M103 fin was used, would the paint have been changed and/or updated or left alone?

* * * OCD switch off * * * *

Found a better image.

I can determine what and/or how all of the lines read with the exception the one pointed out.

Any idea?

2244224422.jpg

I must apologize for some of the lacking in my craftsmanship.

I was babysitting all day long with the children running around in the room, with the casing in the middle of it all.

My nerve held out the best it could.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg