What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Bottle

British_Collector

Hope for Help here.
I now this is not ammo or any other in this art but were was this Air bottle use ? In a plane or Tank ??

And informations about the Markings please. Thanks

Attachments

• thrquhxl7p2.jpg
    thrquhxl7p2.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 2aakg5dlqfl.jpg
    2aakg5dlqfl.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 47
  • bkoens3e8ub.jpg
    bkoens3e8ub.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 41
  • dmdepnwlq2a.jpg
    dmdepnwlq2a.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 43
  • h3m4gl59zsa.jpg
    h3m4gl59zsa.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 38
  • wpp6i8lq793.jpg
    wpp6i8lq793.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 32
  • yq4u6mbh6so.jpg
    yq4u6mbh6so.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 31
That is an O2 tank for aircrew men, have several of them I sue for other projects. This one appears to be the one used by bomber crews when they had to bail out at high altitudes. There were several models that dated from the end of WW II thru the early 60s, then they changed to different design

you know I jumped on just the pic, if it is about 18" long and maybe 2.5" in dia then I am betting it is an O2 cylinder. The nozzle is a little off but still real close. I'll take some pics of mine once I can get out to my range. I see it is rusted up, but the color if an O2 will be green,

In Europe the cylinder would be white around the top end of the cylinder if Oxygen.

Green would indicate an inert gas.

The cylinder also is stamped res com(p?) air.

As Mark pointed out, it is a 'reservoir, compressed air, CM420A' for 25 pr recuperator recharging.

As markyakyak and tankbarrel have previously pointed out for recharging the recuperator on a 25pdr
attached image from a 25pdr handbook

179.jpg

It looks like the Key Handle and Valve Union have gone, but the Valve Spindle looks like it is still there.

It may still have air in it under pressure, 3200 psi is over 200 Bar.

I would treat it with respect, it could do a lot of damage if it ruptures.