What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown fuze

sgdbdr

Good evening,

On an empty shell (half, no bottom and driving bands, diameter measuring around 82mm but distorted) we found this 'fuze' unknown for us :

FUZ1.jpgFUZ2.jpgFUZ3.jpgFUZ4.jpg

Inside, there is a twisted wire (roughened ?) with remains of a composition (quick match ?) rounded by a wooden tube, a washer and an empty primer.
See below the eye of the shell,

EYE.jpg

where you can read OOM17 or UOM17.

Someone has an idea of what it is ?

Regards,

S.

2431_9915_Schema.jpg
Edit: Sorry, seeing inside ... it's very rare. I thought it was a 24/31 99-15 Robin.

Last edited:
Hello,

The french 24-31 Robin 1915 is not rare in my country (!) but this one is a little different.

-Definitly of french inspiration (detonator holder cut) but the shape is maybe like the first fuze of model 1915, model 1899 modified with a plug instead of the safety head "Lejay". Then they made a specific body for the model 1915 (diagram shown by pajarito).
-The inner part of the fuze shown by sgdbdr is very different (no parts for impact operation).
Looks like a modified fuze for improvised use (?).

Regards

1915.jpg

Last edited:
Good evening,

My first thought was ROBIN too, but some details don't match.
First, diameter of the eye of the shell is less than 21mm.
Second, the small round hole in the center of the top of the 'fuze' is quite unusual on ROBIN fuzes.

I can't say it's french either... but I don't know where else to look.

I really don't know what to think about this one...

Regards,

S.

Hello,
Bump this old thread.
We found a body of french bomb 10kg (incendiaire ou jalonnement) M1927 with this fuze. I think it's a short time fuze improvised with a brass body of Robin.
Regards

Last edited:
I am strongly thinking of a shell deposit trapping system, similar systems of the same configuration has been found on big french shells

Hi doctor,

Do you have examples or drawings of those configurations you speak of ?

Cheers,

S.

We need to unscrew the fuze from the empty body (the bomb operated and the fuze is safe) to make an expertise.
I'll tell you my conclusion

Last edited: