What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help to identify this device

hello gents,
i tried to have this thing identified in other forums without any success.
from what i see on this forum i may be at the right place to get answers.
if you need more infos or specific pictures just let me know.
thanks in advance,
tris.
20150404_164456_zpsot20sdql.jpg

20150404_164523_zpsiz0ovq9q.jpg

I'm finding it difficult to read the writing on the side could you clarify this please.

'pressure range to P.S.I'
'Depth ? to ? ft'

There appears to be a specific range so from this it ought to be possible to work out what the use could be.
some more photos if you can, close up of the mechanism and also an angled photo showing the top of the 'nose' and 'rear' of the item.

It could be an instrument of some kind, not necessarily a weapon.

Kev

Also possible is a SUS type charge. While I have never seen this piece, there are many different designs and it could be a possibility. The tubes in the third body section are reminiscent of some of the hydrostatic fuzes, the fourth section possibly for the charge.

Thanks for posting more photos.

I must say from the images there doesnt appear to be much space for any kind of significant charge.

A quick google shows that the psi and the depth are related - Ie; at 5400 ft is just short of 2400psi

to give an idea of the depths this item is intended to operate........(from google) Modern nuclear attack submarines like the American Seawolf class are estimated to have a test depth of 490 m (1,600 ft),[1] which would imply (see above) a collapse depth of 730 m (2,400 ft).

I'm afraid I dont know what the item is, but thanks for posting, someone may well come up with an answer. May I enquire how you came by it? (may give clues as to its identity)

regards Kev

Could it be some sort of Acoustic sounder that was used before radar could penetrate so deep?

As it is a sectioned item, is it possible to work out how it operates, I have been studying the photographs but cannot figure out the functions, could you show, close up photographs of the various sections at differing angles, beginning at one end of the item and working backwards toward the other end.
Sorry to be a pain, but the knowledge on the forum is such that it may well be possible to figure out how the item operates and from that maybe we can figure out its function.

I for one am very intrigued by this and would love to know what it is. Whatever it may be it is a fascinating piece, congratulations on obtaining it in the first place.

regards Kev

Hello Tris,

Is the orange "grommet" on the side an opening (hole) into the casing?

Also is the yellow object "piston" shape? and it appears that it would physically fit (slide) into the tail tube section - is this true?

20150405_074740_zps8lqedq5m.jpg

Would it be possible to take a photo of the same section as shown but from the opposite side?

I may have a hutch on how it functioned.

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
20150406_155553_zpsxnctpicz.jpg
no,this is not a piston.
the Brown cylinder to the right of the brass gears rotates like a stator and make the threaded rod unscrews from the spring loaded capsule to the left which eventually strikes the yellow thing..
20150406_155517_zpssnlvwhly.jpg