What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steel No 103, anyone seen one before?

AndyD

Some pics.

Attachments

• 103 (1).jpg
    103 (1).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 103 (2).jpg
    103 (2).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 103 (3).jpg
    103 (3).jpg
    31 KB · Views: 66
Are these rare, or were they all made from steel?
Also, is the brass cap correct for this fuze?

Lot of Mk were made with different material (brass, etc...). First fuzes are converted No100, 101, 102. So external shape can be very different between different Mk.
These fuzes are often found on ww1 french battlefields.
I'm sure Bonnex could give us more details on different Mk

Regards

Are these rare, or were they all made from steel?
Also, is the brass cap correct for this fuze?
hi Andy, not particularly common in mint condition but not rare either. And yes, everyone that I've seen has a brass top. Dave

Attachments

• 100_7028.jpg
    100_7028.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 50
And just to confirm that they do still turn up, here is a sectioned No103 which came in an 18Pdr HE projectile recently acquired. Steel body with no visible markings apart from a small CL ED on the base. No central parts but with a 'standard' brass closing cap. Not mint but still nice to find. Thanks to all for the identification.

P1070386.JPG P1070383.JPG P1070384.JPG

Lot of Mk were made with different material (brass, etc...). First fuzes are converted No100, 101, 102. So external shape can be very different between different Mk.
These fuzes are often found on ww1 french battlefields.
I'm sure Bonnex could give us more details on different Mk

Regards

Ouch. There were about sixteen marks and sub-marks ten of which were converted No 100 fuzes or new manufacture to the No100 design (Mks I to III). The Mk IV was a converted 101 (any Mark). The Mk V differed from the Mk IV in being new manufacture and of cast-iron. The Mark VI was a Mk V made of 'Brass'. The Mk VII was cast-iron modelled after the Mk V but has brass liners in parts of the mechanism. The Mark VIII was a cast-iron fuze after the Mk V but with some brass liner components (different from the Mk VII components). Another cast-iron fuze was the Mark IX which had zinc alloy liners rather than brass.

Quarter-section Mk V fuzes seemed to have been in large numbers given the survivors.

For those unfortunate to come across a gaine for the 100-103 series beware the blue band doesn't indicate Practice!

With thanks to Hogg, Parker and Ibbetson for their work/ publications on fuzes.

Last edited: