What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British No.6 Mk1 Director (Aiming Circle)

BOUGAINVILLE

Here is the Australian (British) No.6 Mk1 Director (Aiming Circle) that I acquired last weekend.

It is missing the tripod which is unfortunately the case with most optical equipment. There must be some huge graveyard out there somewhere with orphaned tripods.:cry:

Does anyone have information on these directors and their use and is there any military manuals that cover such fire control equipment?

I'm also on the look out for the correct tripod so any photos or diagrams of the tripod will help me in locating the correct one.

Many thanks,
Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

IMGP7567.jpgIMGP7568.jpgIMGP7570.jpg

Hi BOUGAINVILLE,I have a tripod stored at work,not sure if it is for this kind of equipment but from memory it is about 3 to 4 ft tall,3 wooden legs,brass fittings,metal points on the legs,in a canvas carry case which covers the points and top and forms a carrying sling,problem is I think it is dated about 1941,I will check and verify this tomorrow at work,there is a broad arrow and the designation stamped in the brass fitting at the top of the legs,
I should be able to give you all the info tomorrow,
Cheers,
Don,

In the UK most "Spare" tripods have been turned into fancy lighting stands.......usually polished to the hilt ...

Hi BOUGAINVILLE,Not much help I am afraid,the tripod I have is a,,,STAND LAMP for HELIO A Mk III. makers mark is P R S &Co,Ltd, 1941,it is in good to excellent condition with canvas sling,I was wrong about metal points,it has wooden legs sharply tapered to points in the last two inches,all fittings are brass painted black,
Hi Hangarman,this one escaped the standard lamp conversion craze,though given its military designation it would be appropriate,I would rather see it for what it is than see it converted to a lamp,as with many other military artifacts,
Regards,
Don,

Many thanks Don for checking the tripod out for me. A shame that it wasn't a match. Do make sure that it is eventually matched up with a Helio Lamp. If I find a Helio Lamp I know where to come looking.

Cheers,
Robert

Does anyone have information on these directors and their use and is there any military manuals that cover such fire control equipment?

I'm also on the look out for the correct tripod so any photos or diagrams of the tripod will help me in locating the correct one.

Many thanks,
Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Many thanks,
Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

The Handbook of Artillery Instruments 1914 covers this subject but unfortunately only goes up to Director No 4 (or only No 3 without the Addendum). I vaguely remember seeing WW2 pamphlets covering the subject of FC. I dont think I have access to any but I will look.

Guess this includes what you want:

Artillery Training Volume IV Directions for use of Artillery Instruments
Pamphlet No 6 - Directors 6A & 7 to 7B dated 1942

Last edited:
Many thanks Norman for the invaluable information. Now I know what publications to go headhunting for.

Cheers,
Robert