What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kynoch 38/200

Bierjaeger

I just bought two of these (this is the scruffier box). I haven't seen Kynoch 38/200 before and, if I have interpreted the box code correctly, it dates from 1962; long after 38-200 was obsoleted by the British Army. (1938 IIRC)

I plan to test shoot this box in a Pistol, Revolver No.2 Mk.1 and a Webley Police and Military Mk.IV.

Until recently I would have shown it to Tony Edwards for an opinion. However would anyone like to venture6y comments?

Attachments

• Kynoch_box-CROP.jpg
    Kynoch_box-CROP.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 56
These appear to have commercial headstamps, so could have been made for the commercial market.

Just out of interest, with the British gun laws, where will you be doing this testing?

These appear to have commercial headstamps, so could have been made for the commercial market.

Just out of interest, with the British gun laws, where will you be doing this testing?
Not "could", they ARE for the civilian market. (The British Army obsoleted the Cartridge, S.A, Ball, Revolver .380 inch Mk.1 or so-called 38-200 in 1938.) I have 38-200 from several other makers as well, none of them are military. What I find interesting is that these rounds were made long after the British Army dropped the load.

I shall shoot the ammunition from two of my revolvers (above) at Bisley, under Section 7(3) of the 1997 Firearms Act. This allows bona fide collectors such as myself to legally own and shoot historic pistols and revolvers that would otherwise be Section 5 (Prohibited Weapons). I bought some Kynoch .38 S&W at the same time and will be trying that in my Webley Mk.III Pocket Revolver.

Last edited:
Section 7.1 relates to pre 1919 pistols, which can be kept at home without ammunition

Section 7.3 does not have a cutoff date, but pistols held under section 7.3 must be held at a designated secure site.