What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 1/2 pound projectiles for Vickers & COW Gun

ShawnO

Does anyone have pics or diagrams, or dimensions of 1.5lb projectiles for the Vickers or C.O.W. gun , that they could share with me. Cheers . Shawn

Will try to take photos of 3 varieties in my collection and scan them to if you send me your email. There at least 8 kinds I know of and they all are very scarce. The Otter.

Shawn,

Here are some pictures of my projectile.

The projectile has been chromed. I did have two but swopped the other years ago.

I am looking for a suitable fuze and a better case, so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Will.

Attachments

• COW4.jpg
    COW4.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 66
  • COW3.jpg
    COW3.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 64
  • COW1.jpg
    COW1.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 62
  • COW5.jpg
    COW5.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Hi The Otter, Have emailed to your address 3 times and it won't send. Have you given the correct address. Cheers, Shawn.

Info about the projectiles for the 1.5-Pdr Vickers gun seems very hard to find. Can anyone tell me if there was ever a Day-Tracer shell for this round, made on the same principle as the day-tracer for the 1-Pdr pom-pom? If so, can anyone post details, pictures, or drawings, please?

Thanks in advance,
Roger.

If you look at the picture I posted on reply 6 in this thread, it looks like there is provision for a Tracer on the base of the shell.

I did a bit of a study on these some time ago, but as I used someone else's drawings for some of it (I didn't know the source at the time )
I can't post because of copyright as these are in the book I mention. So if you want this email me. I also refer every one to volume ll of a Gun for all Nations the 37mm gun & ammunition 1914 - 1926.

Gordon, Robert Mellichamp's book was the first source I tried for info, but he only gives drawings for 2 types of Practice projectile, and the nose-fuzed common shell. Although there is a passing reference to a day-tracer in the details of the colour codes for the 1.5-pdr Vickers, and also in the section on the 1-Pdr round (where he says he thinks the 1.5-Pdr projectiles were designed along similar lines), there seems to be no further information there.

The other study that you mentioned, if it is the one you kindly supplied to me a couple of years ago, relates solely to the C.O.W. gun rounds, rather than those for the Vickers gun, which as you know use totally different cases and projectiles.

Glevum, your very nice round that you show is also for the COW gun, and as such would have had a chemical tracer (i.e., an igniferous one) rather than the liquid one that the 1-Pdr had.

Perhaps The Otter can help??

Regards,
Roger.