What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price Check on German 75mm HE Projectile

M8owner

I believe this to be the correct projectile for the short 75mm gun on the Panzer IV, and I could use a little help from my friends. This shell has been offered to me for sale , and it does appear to be quite nice. However, I am going to guess that the seller's price of $500 is too much?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Steve

german 75mm HE.jpg

It does seem to have good paint and lettering. Our brothers across the pond can probably get them much cheaper, but if it's in the states that isn't too much out of reason for one in such good shape. Have the seller send you a photo of the other side of the projectile. and the bottom.

On another note, if you don't already have manuals on the German ammo, you should start to look for electronic versions of the German Manuals. A lot of people say that the U.S. Manuals are full of mistakes, but the German ones are best for the German ammo. I'm sure you can find some manuals on Lexpev's site. He has lots of free electronic versions from a variety of countries. There might also be some in the BOCN library.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I agree with Apini re it being 7.62cm
As for the price, if thats original paint, its pretty much museum quality, and as Hazord said, thats probably not unreasonable for that side of the pond, so unless there's a glut of them over there, Id say have a haggle and get it as you wont see one for a long time in that condition.

Ignoring the great condition its in, its not terribly rare, but Id certainly treasure it, if it was in my collection..

Now the real hard bit is finding a case in comparable condition

Rich

Last edited:
Thank you Rich and Alpini. My next question is, "What case should this go with? " Did the Germans make a casing or did they reuse the Russian cases?

Hazord - To address your point, I looked at all the German 75mm documents on this site, and it is still very difficult for me to exactly identify which German projectile goes with which case. I am still not sure how Alpini and Rich pegged this for 76.2mm vs. 75. Is it the brass driving band? I am just glad I requested help.

This photo came from my Russian trading partner, and he has proven to be very reliable and accurate in his item descriptions thus far. However, I can now tell we have reached the limit of his knowledge. He has this projectile stuck in a Pak 40 75mm casing and is calling it a Panther round. After exchanging several thousand $, we are having our first spat. I am sure that we will work through it.

Hello,

The white band just beneath the fuze, was the German marking telling this shell is of ohter origin than German design. (iirc this was used on German produced ammo for captured weapons, not sure it was used on true "beute" ammo). It would indicate the type differed from German design...most notably caliber.
Regards, Menno.

Hello,

The white band just beneath the fuze, was the German marking telling this shell is of ohter origin than German design. (iirc this was used on German produced ammo for captured weapons, not sure it was used on true "beute" ammo). It would indicate the type differed from German design...most notably caliber.
Regards, Menno.

Official manuals simply mention: The white ring on the "7,62 cm Sprgr. 39" is there to differentiate them from the 7,5 cm shells. (same for 7,62 cm Pzgr. 39). The shell was used in the "7,62 cm Pak 36" which has a russian barrel with converted chamber. For this converted gun only german produced ammunition could be used. The gun used the same shellcase as the 7,5 cm Pak. 40 (same headstamp, but different ink stamps on the side of the case)

Last edited:
I seem to recall reading about this conversion at some point in the past, but it did not mean anything to me then. I now appreciate the size of the Pak 40 75mm shell casing. It is almost twice the length of the Russian 76mm field gun casing. That is quite a project to rebuild the chamber on something like that.