What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missile ID please.

AndyD

I've been offered this but don't have a clue about missiles!
Seller says it's the part of a Rapier missile that goes on to hit the target.
Apparently it was chromed and presented to someone on retirement.

Anyone know for sure please?

Cheers,
Andy10575438_1605021556410268_5374175424737036512_o.jpg

Looks to be a desktop model of the missile vs kinetic killer dart.

Last edited:
More info, seller has just said it's called the dart and is solid metal with an exhaust port at the back.
It's approx 1 metre tall.

She's insisting that it is part of a missile and was chromed and presented when he left 12th REGT RA.

She is wrong.

It is not part of a missile. It is a model of a Rapier missile.

Has she ever seen a Rapier missile in the flesh? They are about 2m long and look very similar to the chromed model. The whole missile flies to the target. It is not like the Starstreak that has subcalibre darts.

I worked on the Rapier missile firing trials, so have first hand experience of these missiles in flight

Last edited:
I have handled Rapier missiles and agree that what is shown looks like it is a model Rapier missile.

Thanks for all the replies.
Any chance that this could be from some other system?

No missiles I have seen appeared to be stainless steel. All were painted olive drab with appropriate role or hazard markings.

Definitely Rapier, Starstreak has it's control surfaces towards the nose, not at the rear. If I get time tomorrow I'll take a photo of the small desk top Starsteak model Thales (formerly Short Brothers) staff gave me when I left the Army.

If cheap enough, get it. It doesn't matter what the seller thinks it is, as long as the piece is worth the price to the buyer.

I have seen similar "Scaled" down, but very high end quality models like this that were used in wind tunnels during developmental tests.

Jason

I don't think the model is accurate enough to be a wind tunnel model.

I addition if it were a wind tunnel model, I would expect it to have originated from Stevenage rather than 12th Regt RA.

Last edited: