What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5in shell 1

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

I assume this shell is a practice round but what mean markings : "SUB", "GP", "CSR PROOF OF FUZE N90 SERIES".
If the brown ring is for small charge of powder, what are yellow bands under the fuze ?

Regards

n7.jpg

SUB - HE SUB, the projectile is filled with an inert filler to substitute the HE filling.
CSR - Chief Superintendent Ranges (the projectile is for testing the N90 series of fuzes.
GP - In this context, I don't know.
The Yellow bands- no idea.

TimG.

The Yellow bands- no idea

Most probably to point out that (with the fuze placed) it houses explosive componentes. This may be an igniter cap, detonator or a spotting charge. In short: explosive components present.

Regards, DJH

would anyone have any more pics of the seperate projectiles for the 4.5 in mk3-5 guns from around 1990

Minenaz, I believe that the yellow strips just below the mouth are to indicate that the filling has a universal fuze pocket formed in it, so will take particular types of fuze.

Roger.