What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 25mm

orcutteod

I guess this might be the right venue to post this modified Japanese 25mm Naval shell. It's obvious someone had a lot of time on their hands and cut down the shell and re-neck it to fit the projectile. In earlier times this would make a nice ink well. I figure the projectile which is in great shape is worth more than what I paid for it.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 89
Not sure if you know this but here goes with the markings. Reading (left to right) "Toyo" (KAWA) date is Showa 18.4 (April 1943), "KA", anchor is the acceptance mark for Toyokawa who was the manufacturer. Primer insert also has the "Toyo" and Toyokawa acceptance marks. On a side note as outlined by Ken Elks in his book Japanese Ammunition 1880-1945 part 2, Showa 18.4 was a last month that the Navy marked their cases in this manner and went with a much simplified system of just the Arsenal acceptance mark.

It seems that this type of trench art is quite common. These are usually salt shakers. In this case, the end of the fuse is pierced with small holes.
Art25-DI-002-JP -02.jpg