What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 105mm model 14

starshell

Premium Member
Hi all,

I have a (I think) first war French Model 14 105mm Acier HE, but looking at "Notice sur les materiel handbook 1918" for the 105, it shows four variations, none of which match the shell I have.

My shell measures 421mm from base to top minus fuse.
Base to driving band measures 76mm.
Drive band width is 20mm.

My shell however has what looks to be a fuse adapter fitted, 9mm in height, hence the 421mm height. If I were to remove this, the height would be 412mm , which would match those shells in the Notice sur les materiels handbook.
My question is: Do I have a later (WW2) variation or an adaptation of a WW1 105mm shell.
As yet, I've found no stampings.

As I collect purely First war ordnance, I'm kinda hoping this is of that period.
Any help to disperse my anxieties would be greatly received!
Many thanks in advance.
D

Hello,

Typical French 105mm Schneider (WW1) with a special and expensive brass fuze Schneider model 1915. We found sometimes this round on ww1 battelfields but not very common in collection.

Regards.

105mm Schneider French.jpg

1932.jpg

Schneiderdiagram fuze.jpg

Last edited:
MINENAZ16, Thank you very much, you've come up trumps again as usual!
The info is spot on, and very interesting, so thanks, its much appreciated.
All my anxieties now vanished.....

Hi all,

I have a (I think) first war French Model 14 105mm Acier HE, but looking at "Notice sur les materiel handbook 1918" for the 105, it shows four variations, none of which match the shell I have.

My shell measures 421mm from base to top minus fuse.
Base to driving band measures 76mm.
Drive band width is 20mm.

My shell however has what looks to be a fuse adapter fitted, 9mm in height, hence the 421mm height. If I were to remove this, the height would be 412mm , which would match those shells in the Notice sur les materiels handbook.
My question is: Do I have a later (WW2) variation or an adaptation of a WW1 105mm shell.
As yet, I've found no stampings.

As I collect purely First war ordnance, I'm kinda hoping this is of that period.
Any help to disperse my anxieties would be greatly received!
Many thanks in advance.
D
I'm currently researching American ammunition potentially made for ww1 era purchases of French 105mm guns. Do you have a photograph of your projectile?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I'm currently researching American ammunition potentially made for ww1 era purchases of French 105mm guns. Do you have a photograph of your projectile?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Hi frijoles108,
Apologies for the huge delay! Just found your post..
Pics of French 105mm and Schneider fuse as requested. Many thanks!015.jpg012.jpg011.jpg010.jpg
(A bit all over the shop thanks to a temperamental PC.Sorry...)