What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16 inch 50 cal Gun Barrel Slice

HAZORD

Premium Member
This arrived via UPS today. 1-1/2 inch slice from a 16 Inch Naval Rifle. Approximately 135 Lbs., cut about 3 feet back from the muzzle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Congrats. I think. Hope you've got a forklift.

I recall seeing 16" barrels being cut and polished, like yours, and offered up for sale. I believe it was by a headsup email from the illustrious collector APFSDS; a couple of years ago. Theirs were priced far in excess of my fun money fund.

The guy selling them bought about 7 or 8 muzzle pieces about 3 feet long back when they demilled the 14 spare barrels they had stored at Hawthorne Naval Ammo Depot. He has one of those for sale for $10K-$20K. I'm sure he would take serious offers. The muzzle has stamping around the bore that says what battleship it was to go on. I think the one he has for sale was to go on the Missouri.

Beautiful items Hazord. I remember seeing a barrel slice from one of the Mirus guns on Guernsey a couple of years back, they were smaller at 12 inch, and have wanted one ever since.
Congrats.
Dave.

Last edited:
BMG50, post a photo of your ring and tell us about it.

Sent from my NSA/FBI tapped iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the seller very well. Really great guy and a Vietnam, NAVY Vet! Just a beautiful specimen and an off the charts piece of history. Congrats big time on the score! Looking forward to hopefully seeing a photo of how you display it or hang it on your wall.

I love barrel slices and have a 40mm BOFORS, a 90mm Russian Tank and 105 US. I bet the thing that cut that 16" slice was hardcore.

Jason

I'm planning an open house in July. I have three 16 inch projectiles to display with it, along with 2 powder cans and 6 original powder bags that are inert filled. So, I have to incorporate all of those items somehow. The open house is actually to celebrate the 100th year birthday of my Big Bertha case. It is dated July 1915. I'm making a dummy projectile to go with the case.

That is going to be a display to rival the Smithsonian! Just amazing! Then, throw a Big Bertha case and dummy projo in front of it, WOW! Beautiful artifacts and extreme history!

Jason

I live in Idaho. The most recent Battleship Idaho, BB42 had twelve 14 inch guns. I have a 14 inch Armor piercing HE projectile to represent it, and the older Battleship Idaho, BB24 had 12 inch guns . I have a fired 12 inch APHE that was recovered from San Francisco Bay to represent that ship too.

Last edited:
That is an amazing Navy, large bore collection to be proud of. Your display is going to be top notch for sure. I am really looking forward to seeing a pic or two down the road after its debut. The only thing that could make it better would be a few tank fired APFSDS rounds near it, LOL.

Jason

I bet the thing that cut that 16" slice was hardcore.

Jason

The slices are cut with a large industrial metal cutting reciprocating saw. It takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes for a single cut. Once the cutting is completed then the slice is finished, machined on an industrial size lathe.

Dave.

From a cost of cutting point of view, a horizontal band saw is twice as efficient and takes half the time.

From a cost of cutting point of view, a horizontal band saw is twice as efficient and takes half the time.

Could be he's not got one of those. I'm just quoting what he told me.

Dave.

Also, the truck sized saw using a very special and pricey blade sits inside an industrial "level" machine shop.

As I get closer to the end of my collecting career, I sometimes wonder how my next of kin will dispose of all my junk. I've suggested they simply bury it along with me. Can you imagine the dilemma that HAZORD's collection will pose for whoever has to execute his will ??

:xd::xd::tinysmile_twink_t2:

Last edited:
Actually Dave, I have everything in the photo, except the cradle to lay everything on. My projectile is a WWII one. I was thinking of displaying my things like that, except it takes up so much floor space. I don't have a full time painter that restores everything so I can squeeze every dime possible out of collectors that might bid on his stuff.

I got my powder bags from the second guy you listed, and the first guy got his powder bags from him also.

Last edited: