What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16 inch 50 cal Gun Barrel Slice

I'm looking forward to getting it done! I picked up an 8 inch powder can recently, and I will be getting a couple of powder bags for it in two weeks.

Sent from my NSA/FBI tapped iPhone using Tapatalk

Still a work in progress but this is what I have done so far to display this artifact. I am planning on having each of the four Iowa Class ship crests 3D color printed to be placed on the front face of the display. The stand is brass plated armor plate clad in 1" thick Burmese Teak wood (Same As Used On The Iowa Class Deck Boards) and weighs about 100 pounds without the slice. My end game is to ad a barrel slice from a WW2 era 40mm, 20mm and 5"/38 guns to make the display, "The Gun Systems Of The WW2 Era Iowa Class." So far I have all the slices except for the 5"/38 so the project will have to wait until I find that slice :)

Jason

FullSizeRender-1.jpgFullSizeRender-2 2.jpgFullSizeRender-2.jpgFullSizeRender-4.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

So fired up to have just scored a WW2 era, 5"/38 Cal barrel slice. The best part is that it is from the muzzle end, complete with ID markings and engravings. Now I have all the components to finish my display on the, "GUN SYSTEMS OF THE WW2 ERA IOWA CLASS BATTLESHIPS." I still need to cut the 20mm barrel and figure out how I am going to attach the other 3 barrel sections to the stand but I am nerding on ideas :)

Jason

IMG_2790.jpgIMG_2792.jpgIMG_2793.jpgIMG_2794.jpg

Jason, do you know why the Articles of Surrender were signed on the Missouri? The Little Captain (Truman) was from Missouri.

WOW! I had no idea of why it was signed on that ship or that it was because of, Truman's home town. Thank you! I love these kinda of facts. Very cool info!

Jason

Just had the 4 ship emblems 3D Printed and added two 5'/38 WW2 era projectiles.

Jason

IMG_3382.jpgIMG_3390.jpgIMG_3392.jpgIMG_3393.jpgIMG_3394.jpgIMG_3385.jpgIMG_3386.jpgIMG_3387.jpgIMG_3389.jpg

Finally, I was able to permanently attach each of the 4 ships 3D printed crests to the display. Now I need to incorporate all of the barrel slices of the 5"/38 CAL, 40mm and 20mm used on the ships as fitted during WW2 for my display of, "THE GUN SYSTEMS OF THE WW2 ERA IOWA CLASS BATTLE SHIP." I am nerding on ideas :)
Jason

PS: This display weighs well over 200 pounds not including the 2 projectiles. My back is still hurting from moving it upstairs LOL

IMG_9206.jpgIMG_9207.jpgIMG_9208.jpgIMG_9216.jpgIMG_9217.jpg