What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French (?) 47mm AP Shot

peregrinvs

Hi,
Just picked up this unfired 47mm AP shot. I bought it in the hope that it was a British 3 Pounder, but a google when I got home suggests not and I'm now inclining towards it being a product of La Belle France - possibly for the Mle.1935 anti-tank gun. Could anyone confirm what it is? It's 13.5cm long and is unmarked.
Thanks,
Mark
IMG_3818.JPG

from the typical twin grooved rotating bands I would think you are right in saying it is French. highland Otter

Hello,

It's the first time I see such a round.
French shape.
47mm mle 35 is fitted with a penetration cap. Total length with cap : 145mm
We can imagine the cap is missing but the head should have a groove.
47mm mle 36 without caps (penetration and ballistic) is shorter than yours.

Regards

Thanks. Seems to be a minor mystery then. Did any other countries make French style ammo? Could it be a naval projectile? I'm keen to pin this down.
Thanks,
Mark

I have put two files in the download section about the french 47mm AP.
Wait, wait, wait, it's coming (I hope) !

Yoda

Last edited:
Hello,

early non-capped version is possible (unknown to me) or unfinished mle35 (?).

Regards

Mle 35 without cap :

47mm mle 35 without cap.jpg

Hello,

early non-capped version is possible (unknown to me) or unfinished mle35 (?).

Regards

Mle 35 without cap :

View attachment 107496

Thanks. What's the overall length of the one in the picture? And what's the measurement between the upper drive band and the lower groove? I forgot to mention that there's no tracer pocket in the base.

Cheers,
Mark

Hello,

Sorry, I can't find the uncapped round.
I think the length could be 135mm without cap.

Regards

47mm mle35 French.jpgIMG_6818.JPGIMG_6819.jpgIMG_6820.jpg

Tres bien, merci. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Those measurements more or less match my one. It either appears to be a previously undocumented variation, or just unfinished. Whilst the former is more interesting, I suppose the latter is more probable.

Now onto finding a Mle.1935 cartridge case. Could any UK members comment on how often they turn up on the northern side of La Manche? I get the impression from a bit of googling that they're not uncommon in France itself.

Cheers,
Mark

Just a thought, do we need to go back in time and consider the 47x139R revolver gun? I have a French case dated 1916, the profile of the projectile does remind me of early French 37mm projectiles.

It certainly resembled the 1888 French navy 3pr. But if solid would be shorter then the normal kind
to keep the weight the same. But there is also the 47mm Tube Cannon (subcalibre barrel) Mle. 1902.
That uses a longer casing than the normal 6 pr , which is just like all the Navy Hotchkiss 6prs used every where.
So it is possible it is a practice shot for that loading ? Though perhaps a post ww1 style of projectile. What about 1930s 47mm French Fortress Casemate guns.
Any markings at all ?

Last edited:
Picked up a cartridge case at the War & Peace Show yesterday.:) Am I right in thinking the projectiles were painted black above the upper drive band? Could someone translate the 'D.4.39.D' marking?

Thanks,
Mark
IMG_4151.JPGIMG_4152.JPG

Last edited: