What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.7 inch HOW no.65(?) fuse "CF" marking?

DOODLE

Need some help on this one guys,

I bought this one, beeing a British (navy?) 4,7 inch Howitzer.
The fuse shoud be an no.65?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

But what does the CF on top and on the brass neck mean?

Timeline goes from 0-60 (T 60->0)
Bottom ring with data is as follow: 10/08 R/|\II 28 P

And why is it so hard to find some info on these early fuses?

Here in Belgium they call those (in Flemish) "Boutekoppen" or "Bolt-heads"
(Not to confuse with "lightning bolt" altough I need some "enlightenment" on this :p )

Thanks.

According to my limited records, No 65 fuses were more commonly used on 2.95" up to 4" shrapnel and both time rings had scale markings.

Further it states that either a No 62 or a No 64 were deployed with 4.7" up to 10" shrapnel.

From the first photo, it appears that the upper time ring is blank - has no time scale /markings, which was more commonly found on earlier double time rings introduced after the No 56 fuse - ie No 60, 60c & 62.

Could you post close ups of the fuse, including the markings?

"CF" has more meaning wrt to shell casings (Charge Full) rather than fuses and I have not seen this on these types of fuses before.

The "bolt-head" may refer to the nut shape top, which was tighten once the fuse had the time ring set.

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
@Dronic69
More pics of the fuse. I can even disassemble it.

DSC_0643.jpgDSC_0644.jpgDSC_0645.jpgDSC_0646.jpgDSC_0647.jpg

@Fusse2004: My main focus is on the fuse, that's why I opened a topic here. But
maybe it had a better place in "identification". If so, my apologies.

moved post from Bomb Fuzes,Pistols etc to correct forum FUZES (Non Airdropped)

Hello,

No65 is different, thinner and graduated to 44.

Your fuze looks like a No62 MkII.

Regards.

Yep I would have to agree with Minenaz16 that it is most likely a No 62, which replaced the No 54 and also had a characteristic "step" above the thread as shown below. It appears to be wider diameter (although not as wide as the No 54) and the double time ring examples I have of the No 65 etc only have a max of 44 secs markings, not 60 secs

Both the No 54 & No 62 were design for the larger calibers (4.7" to 10") which explains the longer burn time (further distance).

Unfortunately I'm unable to post a photo nor find a suitable diagram of the No 62.

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSC_0644.jpg
    DSC_0644.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Thank you both for the info.
And I still hope to find out what that CF mark means.

'Till the next one.

cheers

Could it not mean:
Component Factory
As during WWI every part came from a National Component Factory.

Or it might mean Filling factory: No. 10 or 21 NFF Coventry - Foleshill

Just thinking out loud.

Robert

Might be slightly off track but CF on a 233 fuze stood for "Combined Filling" to designate dual function.
Cheers
Gary

There was some work done to improve the reliability of the timing and I think (refs not to hand right now) the 1917 and 1918 OB Annual Reports refer to trials with a 'Charcoal Free' powder but which one of the 'Clamping Fuzes' this was I will have look up when I can. Just to add to the list Royal Naval Depot Cardiff used CF as a monogram. Given this mark is not commonplace on fuzes I am inclined to think it is likely to do with a trial.

Thank you all so far for thinking along.
@Bonnex: I'll note this explanation of yours and I'll ask a friend
of mine about this.