Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Thanks

Grenade No 94 (Energa) Drill

Here is a No 94 Grenade Drill. The only thing different from the real thing is that there is no plug in the tail unit, with a cartridge.

The live .303 cartridge for No 94 is painted black round the base and again round the mouth to distinguish it from the rodded .303 grenade cartridge, which is all black and the '303 cup discharger grenade cartridge which is just painted black round the base. This is British service.

The breakdown shows the Detonator which has FRONT written on it to show the right way to insert it. This is not really necessary because the detonator has a lip which prevents this, but there may just be a determined individual out there.

There is a view down the warhead detonator cavity and one of the tail unit cushioning arrangements for the detonator.

The fuze has the label telling you to withdraw the circlip before firing.

Finally, the grenade has to be inserted headfirst because the tube is shaped inside to stop it going in the other way round.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AE501 For This Useful Post:

Depotman (31st March 2020), doppz92 (3rd April 2020), hangarman (25th May 2015), Joerg (26th May 2015), justin (3rd April 2020), magpie (25th May 2015), MINENAZ16 (25th May 2015), pajarito (25th May 2015), paul the grenade (2nd June 2015), pointblank0 (25th May 2015), sgtlynn (25th May 2015), Slick (25th May 2015), Wooden (16th April 2020)

BOCN Supporter
    Images
    Thanks
    Great example. I do like these Energa rounds. Had a couple myself but yours looks absolutely mint.

Thanks
    Not just .303. There were 7.62mm Ballistite cartridges for the SLR Energa launcher as well. That's what the little pouch on the side of '58 Pattern ammunition pouch is for. (Not for one's KFS.) The SLR was much more comfortable to fire than the No.4.

I came across two types of Practice (as opposed to Drill) grenades. The earlier type had a solid nose but the later version a plastic nose-cone filled with chalk that "expoded" on contact. One drew the grenades and boxes of nose-cones separately.
    Last edited by Bierjaeger; 26th May 2015 at 09:46 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bierjaeger For This Useful Post:

AE501 (26th May 2015)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    I know that this was used with 7.62mm Gren Dischgr carts. I was based in Hampshire wearing 58 Pattern myself in 1960.
    The black case markings used to be quite simple in the pre 1944 British marking system as given for rodded and cup discharger grenades.
    The Energa cartridge markings were at least 2 marking systems on from that.
    Since then there have been various other cups making it more complicated. I think Lynn's Grenade Recognition book covers the changes.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanks AE501, Yours is a great round. I have one missing the drill Fuse and Det if anyone has a spare out there.
    Cheers
    Gary

Premium/Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,463 Times in 738 Posts
    Just a few snippets of information that you might find of interest:

Practice Grenades:

There were three types in British Service (see images). The first had a wooden body and was acquired in about 1948. The Practice Mark 2 (1950s onwards) is an all metal grenade (Black and sometimes marked "Energa Training"). The 'marker' grenade was acquired after the introduction of the 'L notation' and originally six colours were to be made available each being supplied with a grenade having its own L series nomenclature (Grenade, Rifle, Practice Marker, White, L1A1 through to Grenade, Rifle, Practice Marker, Dark Blue, L6A1); procurement sense prevailed and only the L1A1 White Marker grenades were purchased along with separate replaceable coloured marker cones.

Drill Grenade

Early procurements of the Drill Grenade did include an inert .303-inch Grenade Cartridge. I am not sure if the cartridges were issued to the service. The ones I have seen are marked FN 52 with the H7 blackening, in other words they look like the real thing and the possibility of the real thing being mixed up in the classroom needs no further comment.

The notation of the fuze for the Drill Grenade was Fuze, Percussion, DA, Drill, L18A1 (nowadays the nomenclature would start "Drill Fuze" etc).

No94EnergaA.jpgNo94Pracand1948.jpg
    N.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bonnex For This Useful Post:

AE501 (26th May 2015), Depotman (31st March 2020), doppz92 (3rd April 2020), FlightRN (3rd February 2019), magpie (26th May 2015), paul the grenade (2nd June 2015), sgtlynn (27th May 2015), Wooden (31st March 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bierjaeger View Post
    Not just .303. There were 7.62mm Ballistite cartridges for the SLR Energa launcher as well. That's what the little pouch on the side of '58 Pattern ammunition pouch is for. (Not for one's KFS.) The SLR was much more comfortable to fire than the No.4.

I came across two types of Practice (as opposed to Drill) grenades. The earlier type had a solid nose but the later version a plastic nose-cone filled with chalk that "expoded" on contact. One drew the grenades and boxes of nose-cones separately.
    In training 1979 , I was told that the little pouch was for the Energa sighting attachment ....never got to fire one as they had been phased out , with the LAW and MAW taking its place .

Premium Member
    Thanks
    The nose cones came in different colours so that you could tell who had hit the target and where.
    I recall pink, blue and light green as well as the white cone on the extreme right of Bonnex's display.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooden View Post
    . . . I was told that the little pouch was for the Energa sighting attachment . . .
    that's what I heard too, but that this was more often than not (unofficially) used for your KFS, as mentioned above (am sure I also heard it was used to carry SLR Blank Firing Attachment??)... never seen the sighting attachment though.
    always looking for inert baton rounds and accessories - please message me if you have any for sale/trade.

Thanks
    The Pouch on the side of the 58 Pattn Ammo pouch was originally intended for the LAUNCHER, grenade, L1A2 (1005-99-960-0263)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NZ L1A1 Collector For This Useful Post:

reccetrooper (5th April 2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast